Am I reading this right?

mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:25 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:10 am In the US, you can claim children as dependents up to age 24, providing they meet the other requirements.
I'm not seeing that on the irs website.
Actually, there’s no age limit in the USA. You just have to support them and they must live with you. They will be considered an “other dependent”.

Tax class was not my favorite class. In fact, it kind of sucked - but this is one of the few things I remember.

I think, however, that OP has the child tax credit confused with claiming a dependent.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:20 pm You can still claim him as a dependent but you will no longer qualify for child tax credit or EITC. This has been the rule for a while.
He's my oldest so that's why I'm trying to verify and just now encountering this. We have never gotten eitc but it sucks not getting the child tax credit for a child.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Puh.
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You can claim him as a dependent. He just isn't a qualifying child for the child tax credit.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We claimed my mother in law as a dependent for a few years when she lived with us and wasn't working. I'm pretty sure you can claim him as a dependent, he just won't count as part of the child tax credit.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I hate tax time!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic