Jasmin Paris Becomes First Woman to Complete Extreme Barkley Race

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"The runner Jasmin Paris became on Friday the first woman to complete the Barkley Marathons, an extreme footrace that requires participants in rural Tennessee to navigate 100 miles of rugged terrain in no more than 60 hours.

Paris, 40, of Midlothian, Scotland, finished the race with one minute and 39 seconds to spare, making her one of only 20 people to complete the Barkley since it was extended to 100 miles in 1989. She was one of five to finish this year, out of 40 entrants.

At the end of the run, Paris sank to the ground in front of a yellow gate that marks the start and finish of the event, which consists of five roughly 20-mile laps.

“The final minutes were so intense, after all that effort it came down to a sprint uphill, with every fiber of my body screaming at me to stop,” Paris said in an email."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/23/us/b ... paris.html
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am curious of the terrain and what’s involved. I’ve run 100 miles in 24 hour race, but I’m sure this was very different than running on a dirt trail behind a high school if it’s that difficult to beat. Terrain definitely makes an impact on time and endurance.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:05 pm I am curious of the terrain and what’s involved. I’ve run 100 miles in 24 hour race, but I’m sure this was very different than running on a dirt trail behind a high school if it’s that difficult to beat. Terrain definitely makes an impact on time and endurance.
I think the 60,000 ft ascent and descent through a lot of untrailed terrain probably is what makes it particularly difficult.

"Paris, 40, of Midlothian, Scotland, finished the race with one minute and 39 seconds to spare, making her one of only 20 people to complete the Barkley since it was extended to 100 miles in 1989. She was one of five to finish this year, out of 40 entrants." It's pretty amazing.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I live in NE Alabama. The terrain isn’t all that different from East TN, so I can imagine the difficulty. In the article Della posted, it states that if completed the race is the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest twice. That’s insane. Congratulations to her!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic