Planet Fitness revokes a woman's membership after she takes photos in the women's locker room of a transgender shaving

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:23 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 pm Yowza, the comments in this thread. 🧐

Bottom line for me....PF was absolutely correct in doing what they did.
RIGHT!! It doesn't matter what the individual's gender may be, You DON'T take photos of other people without their permission ESPECIALLY not in a private area such as a locker room or bathroom. That is absolutely grounds for termination of a gym membership.
Absolutely!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:40 pm The issue is not that they are more of a danger.
The issue is that there are women who are wholly uncomfortable being around a stranger’s naked male body.

If dressing rooms are changed into single person areas, problem solved…
Then I think we can agree that this issue is because of structural barriers that society has created. Society is full of these barriers, some not even from hatred, but just from old short-sighted conventions which turn out to be wrong. This is how a lot of institutional prejudice operates. Since much of it is literally built into the walls around us, it takes awhile to correct.

In the meantime we have to honor peoples rights to participate in such spaces as we have. And, especially in the absence of harm, it would help if we could avoid invoking lurid, but unlikely, imagery. Traditional locker rooms are just uncomfortable for everyone and that's something people who use them have to live with until they get better.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:09 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:50 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 pm

Statistically, yes. A transwoman is more likely to be attacked by a cisman than a ciswoman.

Oh, wait, you're trying to insinuate that a transwoman is a threat to ciswomen because she has a penis like a cisman and I said men are more likely to sexually abuse.
No… YOU are trying to tell me why that shouldn’t be a worry…

I never even said that WAS the worry.

I said there are a lot of women who are wholly uncomfortable being around a stranger man’s naked body…

Y’all are WRITHING trying to make that into something it’s not because you can’t actually admit, yeah, that’s true, and we’ve decided their feelings don’t matter.

So I gotta be the bad guy… ha.
Look honey, there are a lot of women that are wholly uncomfortable being around ANY stranger's naked body, whether the stranger is a man, a woman, a child or a geriatric. And trans women are super self conscious about anyone else seeing them change, they won't be walking around the locker room with their anatomy hanging out. Furthermore, last time I checked gym locker rooms often have showers with curtains, bathroom stalls, and even changing stalls with curtains or even doors. So the whole idea of naked bodies being all over the locker room is a disingenuous fallacy. The most you'll see is someone in their undergarments IF you're looking (most women mastered the art of changing clothes without exposing their knickers in middle school.) So the only one making this situation into something it's not, is YOU.
Here we go…

Because you know how all trans women think.

Because they all think the same way…
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:26 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:40 pm The issue is not that they are more of a danger.
The issue is that there are women who are wholly uncomfortable being around a stranger’s naked male body.

Then I think we can agree that this issue is because of structural barriers that society has created. Society is full of these barriers, some not even from hatred, but just from old short-sighted conventions which turn out to be wrong. This is how a lot of institutional prejudice operates. Since much of it is literally built into the walls around us, it takes awhile to correct.

In the meantime we have to honor peoples rights to participate in such spaces as we have. And, especially in the absence of harm, it would help if we could avoid invoking lurid, but unlikely, imagery. Traditional locker rooms are just uncomfortable for everyone and that's something people who use them have to live with until they get better.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You may believe that these are short sighted conventions that turn out to be wrong.

Other believe there are completely real differences between the male and female body and they are not comfortable being naked around each other.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:35 pm

You may believe that these are short sighted conventions that turn out to be wrong.

Other believe there are completely real differences between the male and female body and they are not comfortable being naked around each other.
"But conservative opponents of the ERA, led by Phyllis Schlafly, successfully convinced the public that the amendment would lead to horrifying unintended consequences. Some of those feared consequences, like legal same-S*x marriage, have already come to pass without the ERA's help and without society falling apart. But Schlafly also argued, dubiously, that the ERA would mandate unisex bathrooms because it would somehow erase all differences between men and women in the eyes of the law. It was a very successful argument. Anti-ERA campaigns ran with the idea that rapists and pedophiles would be free to lurk in women's restrooms, and that women would lose their right to privacy in this very intimate sphere.

"Such a fear energized conservative women against the amendment, but it also rallied their husbands to protect their wives and daughters from the dangers of S*x-integrated bathrooms," writes Neil J. Young at Slate. "If women could not retreat to the privacy of their own restrooms, where could they be safe from the dangers of the world outside their homes?"

https://www.vox.com/2015/12/30/10690802 ... ghts-lgbtq
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:35 pm

That is not what I am saying. The short-sightedness was on the part of architects and builders who did not realize that the conventional two choices were not sufficient to accommodate every circumstance without discomfort. Future designers will be smarter and make areas that are more private, so no one ever has to feel uncomfortable.

We can beat this problem with better institutional design. In the meantime, we should understand that everyone in a public locker room is uncomfortable and try to be extra considerate of each other and we'll get through it without harm.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:27 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:50 pm

No… YOU are trying to tell me why that shouldn’t be a worry…

I never even said that WAS the worry.

I said there are a lot of women who are wholly uncomfortable being around a stranger man’s naked body…

Y’all are WRITHING trying to make that into something it’s not because you can’t actually admit, yeah, that’s true, and we’ve decided their feelings don’t matter.

So I gotta be the bad guy… ha.
Look honey, there are a lot of women that are wholly uncomfortable being around ANY stranger's naked body, whether the stranger is a man, a woman, a child or a geriatric. And trans women are super self conscious about anyone else seeing them change, they won't be walking around the locker room with their anatomy hanging out. Furthermore, last time I checked gym locker rooms often have showers with curtains, bathroom stalls, and even changing stalls with curtains or even doors. So the whole idea of naked bodies being all over the locker room is a disingenuous fallacy. The most you'll see is someone in their undergarments IF you're looking (most women mastered the art of changing clothes without exposing their knickers in middle school.) So the only one making this situation into something it's not, is YOU.
Here we go…

Just admit to being a bigot and move on. Bottom line is planet fitness was 100% justified in terminating the membership of the person who violated policy.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I did a really fascinating study of the organization and institutional assumptions of public bathrooms. Society enforces many of its unspoken strictures through the construction of its public spaces.

In this case, two university student organizations, one for students with disabilities, and another for transgender students, recognized their common interest and teamed up to send patrols to all the many bathrooms on campus to make sure that the spaces conformed to requirements for physical accommodations and that there were no barriers to use of restrooms by identified gender. Along the way they ran into another student group called Aunt Flo and the Plug Patrol, who were checking all the bathrooms on campus to make sure they had sanitary supplies. The student groups had to confront some stigma about exploring such taboo issues, but in the end there were improvements to access for all three groups, and everyone, so their project was a success.

I don't disagree with the premise that people can feel uncomfortable and they just do. I think sometimes people have the right to do things that make others uncomfortable, but discomfort does matter and we can fix it. I do think we should be able to discuss it like adults. Thanks.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:27 pm

Here we go…

Just admit to being a bigot and move on. Bottom line is planet fitness was 100% justified in terminating the membership of the person who violated policy.
Lol If the society you want to create demands that I am now called a bigot because I don’t want random penises out on display around my daughters, so be it…

I get it… you REALLY WANT that to be the reality we live in… You believe that it is a man’s right to show his penis to any girl or woman, and there is something wrong with those women who don’t feel like that’s ok. Teenage girls be damned, if a 45 year old man wants something, he should have it, that’s his right and they most definitely supersede the rights of those girls and women.

I’m not onboard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic