Arizona prosecutor slams ‘soft-on-crime’ DA Bragg, refuses to send suspect in Soho hotel murder back to NYC

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

It seems as if it was all showmanship.

Bragg hasn't formally requested extradition and extradition is federal law rather than state law so Arizona would legally be required to extradite.

What a shit show it would be if states could decide whom to extradite and whom not to!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Della wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:21 am The Arizona charges won't put him away for life.
Not necessarily. They are holding him without bond, he’s facing multiple class 2 felony charges here, because they will be able to consider “aggravating factors” at sentencing, if convicted, each charge can carry a 35 yr sentence which they could choose consecutive instead of concurrent, especially since he admitted to police the murder in NY, multiple assaults in Texas, kidnapping attempts, other attempted murders in Florida, and the intent to continue if he had not been arrested. He’s either crazy, stupid, arrogant, or a combination of all three.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:03 am It seems as if it was all showmanship.

Bragg hasn't formally requested extradition and extradition is federal law rather than state law so Arizona would legally be required to extradite.

What a shit show it would be if states could decide whom to extradite and whom not to!
Idk, I don’t think it’s all that political since she criticized Florida too for letting him out on an $2500 bond and reducing the charges against him. Arizona can deny extradition while he’s facing felony charges here.

But an FYI there are 3 states that didn’t sign the UCEA, though they will extradite to other states.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:35 am
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:03 am It seems as if it was all showmanship.

Idk, I don’t think it’s all that political since she criticized Florida too for letting him out on an $2500 bond and reducing the charges against him. Arizona can deny extradition while he’s facing felony charges here.

But an FYI there are 3 states that didn’t sign the UCEA, though they will extradite to other states.
South Carolina and Mississippi. I don't remember the 3rd.

They can, but that's not what she invoked in denying extradition to NY - her spokesman did later, however.

“Having observed the treatment of violent criminals in the New York area by the Manhattan D.A. there, Alvin Bragg,” Ms. Mitchell told reporters, “I think it’s safer to keep him here and keep him in custody, so that he cannot be out doing this to individuals either in our state, county, or anywhere in the United States.” That is the part that I think is showmanship.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In Florida an inmate can request that extradition be denied.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:45 am

They can, but that's not what she invoked in denying extradition to NY - her spokesman did later, however.

“Having observed the treatment of violent criminals in the New York area by the Manhattan D.A. there, Alvin Bragg,” Ms. Mitchell told reporters, “I think it’s safer to keep him here and keep him in custody, so that he cannot be out doing this to individuals either in our state, county, or anywhere in the United States.” That is the part that I think is showmanship.
North Dakota is the 3rd.

Maybe but really it seems more like media spin to me. Her statement wasn’t made until after meeting with a NY prosecutor to discuss the possibility of extradition. Neither she nor Bragg’s has stated what transpired during that discussion.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:05 pm

North Dakota is the 3rd.

Maybe but really it seems more like media spin to me. Her statement wasn’t made until after meeting with a NY prosecutor to discuss the possibility of extradition. Neither she nor Bragg’s has stated what transpired during that discussion.
True. I admit I have a negative bias since SCOTUS hearing - Blasey Ford.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:39 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:05 pm

North Dakota is the 3rd.

True. I admit I have a negative bias since SCOTUS hearing - Blasey Ford.
I didn’t vote for her and I do think her comment was a potshot and made her sound like an idiot. If the dig at Bragg’s had been tacked on after stating AZ had a valid case instead of reversed like she did it wouldn’t have sounded as bad. It’s ultimately not even up to her or Bragg. I find it a bit telling that many articles neglect to mention that or this:
“The duty of one state to surrender a fugitive to another is not absolute and unqualified, however—if the fugitive is imprisoned in the asylum state, for example, the asylum state may satisfy its own laws before returning the fugitive to the demanding state.” From Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2 of the constitution.

NY just released Terrence Lewis, a convicted murderer sentenced to life because someone(s) in the state screwed up and sent him back to the state he was already serving time in for unrelated offenses after his indictment but before his trial. He shouldn’t have been sent back until after his trial. That little mess up was a big enough technicality to allow a convicted murderer to go free. That has nothing to do with Bragg though being “lenient”. There’s no reason for either or, either one family gets justice or the victims of his crimes here get justice. Try him here then after send him to NY for trial. It’s that simple. It’s not double jeopardy and as long as NY doesn’t officially arrest him or take custody of him until after his trial here is completed, there isn’t the time limits.

Up until his arrest in AZ, NY didn’t have a suspect name. They were still asking for people to help them identify the person of interest in a photo. They had his pants, they had the suspected murder weapon, he’s been arrested multiple times, but they couldn’t identify him? So no valid finger prints?

Personally, that’s the course I think they should take. This man has committed multiple violent crimes against women in multiple states. He’s admitted to more than previously suspected, and he stated he had the intent to continue committing these crimes. Idk if that’s someone that can ever really be rehabilitated,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic