Chinese migrants are the fastest growing group crossing from Mexico into U.S. at southern border

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Shit, I hope this doesn't make people start harassing all Asian people again. I had enough of that during covid.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I second that! But sadly, that’s often the case 🙁
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:56 am Shit, I hope this doesn't make people start harassing all Asian people again. I had enough of that during covid.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would find another way. And if I can’t, fall for it and get caught well, I’ll have to face the consequences because what I did was illegal.
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 pm So if your children were literally starving to death and the only way you could get food would be to steal it, you’d just shrug your shoulders and let them die because it would be illegal? Because those are the circumstances a lot of the people crossing the border are facing. People die trying to cross everyday, no one puts their family through that risk unless they have no other choices.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pm That’s a cop out argument. That’s justifying breaking the law because of your circumstances. So if I can’t get something legally, is it OK for me to break the law? If I can’t afford food can I steal it because the supermarket doesn’t offer it for free?
It would be great is the US accepted migrants and asylum seekers and had programs to integrate them to American society. But if it doesn’t that’s not an excuse for people for trying to get in illegally.
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:22 pm When you make legal immigration nearly impossible for those who need it the most and refuse asylum seekers, that’s what’s happens, you leave people no choice.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No issues with people seeking asylum legally.
But using your ethical example. Sure, we can all (I hope) empathize with such a need. And maybe most of us will choose to save a life. But that doesn’t mean we should blame the system for our circumstances to make our actions seem righteous. We should know we’re doing something wrong and that we’re choosing to do something wrong and be ready to face the consequences if caught. What I don’t agree with is blaming the law for “forcing” me to break it.
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:35 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pm That’s a cop out argument. That’s justifying breaking the law because of your circumstances. So if I can’t get something legally, is it OK for me to break the law? If I can’t afford food can I steal it because the supermarket doesn’t offer it for free?
It would be great is the US accepted migrants and asylum seekers and had programs to integrate them to American society. But if it doesn’t that’s not an excuse for people for trying to get in illegally.
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:22 pm When you make legal immigration nearly impossible for those who need it the most and refuse asylum seekers, that’s what’s happens, you leave people no choice.
Most are asylum seekers and that is legal. If they are seeking illegal means, it's likely that the circumstances they left behind were worth the risk. This is like the classic "is it ok to steal medication for your sick wife when you can't afford it" ethical problems. Which is worse, letting them in illegally or letting them die?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s easy to say “I’d find another way” when you have never been in that situation. There are many circumstances under which in history people have rightfully broken the law.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:49 pm I would find another way. And if I can’t, fall for it and get caught well, I’ll have to face the consequences because what I did was illegal.
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 pm So if your children were literally starving to death and the only way you could get food would be to steal it, you’d just shrug your shoulders and let them die because it would be illegal? Because those are the circumstances a lot of the people crossing the border are facing. People die trying to cross everyday, no one puts their family through that risk unless they have no other choices.

SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:57 pm No issues with people seeking asylum legally.
But using your ethical example. Sure, we can all (I hope) empathize with such a need. And maybe most of us will choose to save a life. But that doesn’t mean we should blame the system for our circumstances to make our actions seem righteous. We should know we’re doing something wrong and that we’re choosing to do something wrong and be ready to face the consequences if caught. What I don’t agree with is blaming the law for “forcing” me to break it.
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:35 pm

Most are asylum seekers and that is legal. If they are seeking illegal means, it's likely that the circumstances they left behind were worth the risk. This is like the classic "is it ok to steal medication for your sick wife when you can't afford it" ethical problems. Which is worse, letting them in illegally or letting them die?
I agree with you. My grandmother raised and provided for 9 children 100% by herself during Jim Crow. She would have absolutely clowned if her kids or grandkids got caught stealing and she absolutely expected us to face the consequences of our actions. You (general) can't just move to a different country and start stealing without being held accountable for it.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:48 pm I second that! But sadly, that’s often the case 🙁
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:56 am Shit, I hope this doesn't make people start harassing all Asian people again. I had enough of that during covid.
Yeap, I am preparing for it if this blows up. I really wish Americans would stop lumping all Asians under Chinese but I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic