School Safety Question

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Excuse me if this is a stupid question. But as school starts up around my area, I have been hearing a lot of talk about the new schools safety measures due to all the mass shootings, particularly school shootings that has been happening.

My question is, why does it seem like they are focusing more on outside intruders? Not that I think its a bad idea to make sure that not just anyone can come on to campus without being fully checked over. That's a great start, but what are they doing about students coming to school with the intent to cause harm to the school? So far, all they have done here is mandate student ID lanyards and an email to parents that they will be strictly enforcing ID checks for visitors, no exceptions. They also took down the map of the high schools from their websites. Thats all great and everything, but to my understanding, the majority of school shooters were from students or former students. So? I dont understand how this really helps. It's not that different from what they already had in place, with exception to the mandated student lanyards.

Im not overly worried about it, but at the some time, their plan doesnt make sense considering the reality of the issues. That most school shooters have been studends and former students. What are your schoos doing to insure the safety of their students?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The Jr High has fencing all around so that the only way in is to go through the office or hop the fence. No ID's for students. Ideally they check ID's on visitors. They also have an officer on campus at all times, wears the full gear including pepper spray, tazer and gun. My older son who spent two years there said she only ever had to use the pepper spray on students, nothing stronger.

The high school has fencing all around it but I'm not exactly sure what the protocol is for people coming onto campus. I know there are signs saying that everyone has to check into the office and present ID but I don't know what kind of enforcement they have. The office doesn't butt right up to the fence like it does at the Jr High. I haven't had a reason yet to go pull my high-schooler mid-day. Oh, and students have ID's but don't need to wear them, just need to have them on their person like in their pocket or backpack. I suppose just need to be able to present it if asked.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

"Active Shooter" drills.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:44 pm Excuse me if this is a stupid question. But as school starts up around my area, I have been hearing a lot of talk about the new schools safety measures due to all the mass shootings, particularly school shootings that has been happening.

My question is, why does it seem like they are focusing more on outside intruders? Not that I think its a bad idea to make sure that not just anyone can come on to campus without being fully checked over. That's a great start, but what are they doing about students coming to school with the intent to cause harm to the school? So far, all they have done here is mandate student ID lanyards and an email to parents that they will be strictly enforcing ID checks for visitors, no exceptions. They also took down the map of the high schools from their websites. Thats all great and everything, but to my understanding, the majority of school shooters were from students or former students. So? I dont understand how this really helps. It's not that different from what they already had in place, with exception to the mandated student lanyards.

Im not overly worried about it, but at the some time, their plan doesnt make sense considering the reality of the issues. That most school shooters have been studends and former students. What are your schoos doing to insure the safety of their students?
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My BIL, who teaches high school, has a first degree black belt in akido martial arts. He had to tackle a student recently who went on a dangerous rant (a fight about a girl), and now he's known as the teacher not afraid to kick your ass if you get stupid. The family thinks it's hysterical, but he's letting the rumor stand because it helps his students feel safe around him if shit were to ever 'go down'.

The school itself locks the doors at first bell, there is a resource officer from the pd on duty all day every day, teachers and students wear IDs on lanyards at all times, visitors are buzzed through and then are signed in using an approved ID at the front desk before entering the school, and some teachers don't allow bags in their rooms (they're allowed on campus), but they can be (and are) searched at any time, as are lockers. It isn't foolproof, but it's caught drugs and weapons in the past, so something is working. *edited to add, they also practice active shooter drills using different scenarios.
hugs
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would imagine most come from outside .. rarely inside ..
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Even during Columbine, those boys just shot their way in. Realistically if a shooter wants to get in, they will. Many schools and staff go through code red drills. We have active shooter drills every year.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

So glad that we dont worry about that kind of stuff here. Kids should feel safe at school
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My school pushes the see something, say something motto. There's even an app for reporting. And if you report they take it seriously. Yes someone can still bring something in but oftentimes they post on social media. Some stupid mother just got her self arrested for threatening a school shooting. She was angry her kids got transferred and she told a friend on Facebook messenger. He reported her.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

It's all smoke and mirrors to make you think that your kids are being protected. The only thing that will of course is a ban on assault weapons.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 pm It's all smoke and mirrors to make you think that your kids are being protected. The only thing that will of course is a ban on assault weapons.
I agree.
Locked Previous topicNext topic