You cannot help someone who doesn't want to help themselves a vent sort of

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My cousin has an eating disorder has for many years and my aunt has been trying to get her help all of those years. My cousin has been impatient at many different facilities and goes in for a few months then after a few months out she relapses. She's made it clear she doesn't want to get any help and many including other family members seem critical of my Aunt and are making it seem like my Aunt can make my adult cousin she's 24 get help when she doesn't want it. Until she starts wanting the help herself she's not going to get better. Just a vent.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

She's an adult. They have as much responsibility to get her help as her mom does. Which is to say, none, because you can't force it.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

That is correct.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:27 pm My cousin has an eating disorder has for many years and my aunt has been trying to get her help all of those years. My cousin has been impatient at many different facilities and goes in for a few months then after a few months out she relapses. She's made it clear she doesn't want to get any help and many including other family members seem critical of my Aunt and are making it seem like my Aunt can make my adult cousin she's 24 get help when she doesn't want it. Until she starts wanting the help herself she's not going to get better. Just a vent.
Stay completely out of everything, no opinion, no comments, no advice.
You are Switzerland
hugs
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

yep .. someone has to want to help themselves first ..
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Actually no...

Their next of kin can have them held in a hospital against their will if the disease progresses badly enough.

You can PM me if you want, my cousin went through the same thing with anorexia and My aunt had her placed under care and became her conservator, so she can legally make the same decisions for her as if she was a minor.
Locked Previous topicNext topic