Is it just me or are children’s books dumbed down these days?

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I grew up with my parents reading little golden books, Bernstein bears books, dr suess and so forth to me.

What I’ve noticed is that books these days seem to have less words period but also very simple words as well.

Granted I don’t remember having any board books, they were all just paper and not sturdy. It just seems books are dumbed down these days. Is it just me?
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Board books are for babies and young toddlers. Lol!

There are plenty of kids books as well that are longer and have more advanced vocabulary and stories.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You have to search for the good ones. A lot of books and movies today question small children's intelligence and dumb everything down, while using just potty humor to get easy laughs instead of actual humor. Good kids books still exist, you just have to weed through the rest.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It’s just you. There is tons of books for different age groups. A 6 month old isn’t going to sit through Moby Dick so instead read them a 20 word board book.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

The board books are abbreviated and aren't the same as the paper paged books. My daughter has a couple Dr. Seuss board books and the same books with paper pages and they are shorter. The board books are meant for babies who don't have a long attention span.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I did not notice that at all.

I did read a Golden book a couple years ago and thought, this crap is sexist. Where’s brown bear, brown bear, lol!!
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I haven’t noticed that.
Blue_Prelude
Countess
Countess

Unread post

It depends what you choose. Board books are for toddlers so they are simple. I think we have a lot more variety today that fall into age appropriate categories.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It depends on what you choose.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

the board books when my sister was little (born 1984) were pretty simplistic. Mostly the alphabet or numbers. They're designed to allow children the experience of books without the destruction. I don't remember having any board books and my Mom doesn't think I ever had any because I either didn't destroy books or they didn't exist.
Locked Previous topicNext topic