Who gets to decide which are 'real' religions?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Satanism wasn't officially recognized as a religion by the US Government until 2016. The US military has recognized Satanism as a religion since the mid-70s. Satanists in the military can freely practice their religion, ask for religious accommodations, and request chaplain support just like those who practice any other religion. DeSantis is well aware of this.

As the bill is written, anyone can volunteer as a "chaplain" with no credentials necessary. If I were a parent of a student in Florida, I'd prefer an atheist Satanist chaplain well over Westboro Baptist pastor Fred Phelps, lol. According to DeSantis, the former wouldn't be allowed but the latter would.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 am Satan-ism
It's to make a political and rhetorical point, as you know. It's a f**k you to religious oppression.
Specifically, their view of Christian religious oppression.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I am opposed to any religious leader being installed in a public school to replace trained and vetted professionals.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... 372354007/

a bill signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday would allow volunteer chaplains to provide support services for public K-12 students.

"We're not playing those games in Florida," DeSantis said at a press conference at a high school in Kissimmee. "[Satanism] is not a religion. That is not qualifying to be able to participate in this."
At the moment, it's the folks behind the Seven Mountains Mandate.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pm I am opposed to any religious leader being installed in a public school to replace trained and vetted professionals.
I agree with this. If a child needs some type of religious counseling, then it's up to the parents to take the child to see their priest, pastor, chaplain, whatever. It should have absolutely nothing to do with the school.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am No strong opinion. To each its own, but I don’t support satanism or want anything to do with it.
I'm not fond of satanism although it has some morality rules. Or so owlnuggets said in the old CafeMom. She used to discuss the religion which I found interesting. But God help me if it pisses off DeSantis, the book banning Moms of whatever, Liberty I think, and fundamental Christian groups, I'm all for it. Really these groups and DeSantis are their own worst enemies. If they lived and let live the Satanic Church would probably go elsewhere. It's like banned books. Ban something and everyone reads it because they want to see the hype. Parents get mad and buy the book out of principle. But I bet if they let it sit quietly on library book shelves 90 percent of children wouldn't read To Kill a Mockingbird or The Color Purple. Maybe we should thank the Moms of Whoever for bringing attention to these unique books and religions. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic