Florida settles with Miami hotel over drag queen Christmas show

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:14 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:40 am We can agree to disagree on that.

I think it severely delegitimized the cause.

We were fighting for life and death choices for women, raped 13 year olds being able to decide their own future. Abused women being able to leave their relationships without forever ties to their abusers…

Then it became fake vaginas, harmonicas and people acting like idiots in the streets because they were having fun.

I can’t even imagine how they possibly thought this would help anyone.
It is an honor to disagree with you, and I'm glad we can discuss it. I don't agree that those things are in conflict. Here are my scrap pages of the event:

As you can see this was an incredibly serious and empowering event for women, and a show of strength. Power to the diversity of expression and the freedom to be unashamed of biology! In my opinion, blaming this woman and this cause for the sacking of their own rights is just more victim-blaming, "she had it coming because of what she was wearing" bullshit. Rights are rights.

But, the original question was whether the sight of this would somehow harm a child who saw it. There is no evidence to suggest that this sight is psychologically damaging, or that viewing a raunchy adult show hurts children in any way. It's not inherently dangerous. Think about what children routinely would have grown up seeing and hearing in the close quarters of the tribal societies we evolved in. Their psyches were made to handle it.

There is zero reason to think adult drag shows represent some kind of threat to children that justifies violating people's rights to freedom of expression and a parent's freedom to decide what their own child can handle. The law is not for protecting children who are under zero threat, from a situation that almost never happens. It's about Othering alternative gender expressions, and that's all.
I think you’re a very good photographer, it’s just not a method of dissent that I think is an impact on the minds that needed to be changed.

As for the sentence “ psychologically damaging, or that viewing a raunchy adult show hurts children in any way”

There is… and that’s nothing to do with drag queens in general, as I said, if it was Dame Edna no one would mind…

But there’s a lot of evidence that children being in adult entertainment scenarios where alcohol mixed with sexually raunchy material is being used as entertainment can be damaging to a child.

For those who don’t believe that, why do you think children aren’t allowed in nightclubs?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:03 pm I think you’re a very good photographer, it’s just not a method of dissent that I think is an impact on the minds that needed to be changed.

As for the sentence “psychologically damaging, or that viewing a raunchy adult show hurts children in any way”

There is… and that’s nothing to do with drag queens in general, as I said, if it was Dame Edna no one would mind…

But there’s a lot of evidence that children being in adult entertainment scenarios where alcohol mixed with sexually raunchy material is being used as entertainment can be damaging to a child.

For those who don’t believe that, why do you think children aren’t allowed in nightclubs?
Then maybe what needs to be disallowed is alcohol at events that allow children. But certainly a child seeing adults drinking isn't inherently dangerous either. People partying, so what? Growing up, my parents threw parties at our home where all the adults were drinking. Millions of Americans drink alcohol and watch sports and yell profanities with their children in the room on every holiday, maybe every weekend. Is this damaging the children? Enough to make it against the law?

In the US, there are 11 million children under the age of 18 living with at least 1 alcoholic parent. Studies show that these kids are at much higher risk of anxiety, depression, guilt, anger issues and inability to trust, and at least four times as likely to develop alcohol dependency themselves. Should we be making this illegal?

If you ask me, adults who are drinking should not be around children at all. BUT, that's not my call to make. It's up to parents to decide how much adult drinking their children can witness. It's often a lot, with real, measurable negative consequences. It affects millions of children, not just a handful. Yet somehow this is not enough to raise a single flag to have the practice outlawed. Not until there is someone in drag there...then suddenly we have to stop it!

It's not about "the children."
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:48 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:03 pm I think you’re a very good photographer, it’s just not a method of dissent that I think is an impact on the minds that needed to be changed.

As for the sentence “psychologically damaging, or that viewing a raunchy adult show hurts children in any way”

Then maybe what needs to be disallowed is alcohol at events that allow children. But certainly a child seeing adults drinking isn't inherently dangerous either. People partying, so what? Growing up, my parents threw parties at our home where all the adults were drinking. Millions of Americans drink alcohol and watch sports and yell profanities with their children in the room on every holiday, maybe every weekend. Is this damaging the children? Enough to make it against the law?

In the US, there are 11 million children under the age of 18 living with at least 1 alcoholic parent. Studies show that these kids are at much higher risk of anxiety, depression, guilt, anger issues and inability to trust, and at least four times as likely to develop alcohol dependency themselves. Should we be making this illegal?

If you ask me, adults who are drinking should not be around children at all. BUT, that's not my call to make. It's up to parents to decide how much adult drinking their children can witness. It's often a lot, with real, measurable negative consequences. It affects millions of children, not just a handful. Yet somehow this is not enough to raise a single flag to have the practice outlawed. Not until there is someone in drag there...then suddenly we have to stop it!

There’s also a big difference between a party at home, where every adult is basically vetted for parental approval to be around their children…

And a nightclub/comedy club/adult entertainment type of public show.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:10 pm

There’s also a big difference between a party at home, where every adult is basically vetted for parental approval to be around their children…

I'm not seeing what the difference is that makes one so dangerous that we must take that decision away from parents and the other not.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:17 pm

I'm not seeing what the difference is that makes one so dangerous that we must take that decision away from parents and the other not.
What do you think the reason has been so far as to why we don’t let kids into nightclubs?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:22 pm

What do you think the reason has been so far as to why we don’t let kids into nightclubs?
Why is it?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:24 pm

Why is it?
I think most people would say that it’s because that’s an inappropriate environment for kids.

Would you disagree with that statement?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:38 pm

Why is it?
I think most people would say that it’s because that’s an inappropriate environment for kids.

Inappropriate how? At risk of what? ETA: I don't disagree, I want to know what your specific objections are.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:03 pm

Why is it?

Inappropriate how? At risk of what? ETA: I don't disagree, I want to know what your specific objections are.
Sexual abuse, predators, violence, explicit adult content/behavior, drugs, alcohol, etc.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:03 pm

Why is it?

Because it gives kids the false idea that they’re old enough to act the same. Which they’re not, but doesn’t stop them from acting like it…
Locked Previous topicNext topic