1619 NYT series on slavery in the US

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anyone reading this? I thought I knew a fair amount of American history (close relative is PhD and University professor) but I am learning so much from this.
In August of 1619, a ship appeared on this horizon, near Point Comfort, a coastal port in the British colony of Virginia. It carried more than 20 enslaved Africans, who were sold to the colonists. No aspect of the country that would be formed here has been untouched by the years of slavery that followed.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... avery.html
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No but I will. I’m glad the Times is writing about this.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

An amazing series so far and I've just read the summaries. Looking forward to when they put this out in hardback - will definitely buy. Also think it's great that they have a curriculum plan for schools. However, I'm staying off my community fb pages where people who haven't even read the weekend installment, are bashing it as propaganda <sigh>.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:54 pm Anyone reading this? I thought I knew a fair amount of American history (close relative is PhD and University professor) but I am learning so much from this.
In August of 1619, a ship appeared on this horizon, near Point Comfort, a coastal port in the British colony of Virginia. It carried more than 20 enslaved Africans, who were sold to the colonists. No aspect of the country that would be formed here has been untouched by the years of slavery that followed.
What kind of people would sell people?
KAG
Mean Girl
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

morgan wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:08 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:54 pm Anyone reading this? I thought I knew a fair amount of American history (close relative is PhD and University professor) but I am learning so much from this.
Apparently many kinds of people, including the early colonists who embarked on the buying and selling of enslaved peoples for over 200 years. The question is, why did it persist for so long, who benefitted, and what was done in the aftermath.
The Africans who came to Virginia in 1619 had been taken from Angola in West Central Africa. They were captured in a series of wars that was part of much broader Portuguese hostilities against the Kongo and Ndongo kingdoms, and other states. These captives were then forced to march 100-200 miles to the coast to the major slave-trade port of Luanda. They were put on board the San Juan Bautista, which carried 350 captives bound for Vera Cruz, on the coast of Mexico, in the summer of 1619.

Nearing her destination, the slave ship was attacked by two English privateers, the White Lion and the Treasurer, in the Gulf of Mexico and robbed of 50-60 Africans. The two privateers then sailed to Virginia where the White Lion arrived at Point Comfort, or present-day Hampton, Virginia, toward the end of August.
https://historicjamestowne.org/history/ ... -africans/
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Apparently many kinds of people, including the early colonists who embarked on the buying and selling of enslaved peoples for over 200 years. The question is, why did it persist for so long, who benefitted, and what was done in the aftermath.
The Africans who came to Virginia in 1619 had been taken from Angola in West Central Africa. They were captured in a series of wars that was part of much broader Portuguese hostilities against the Kongo and Ndongo kingdoms, and other states. These captives were then forced to march 100-200 miles to the coast to the major slave-trade port of Luanda. They were put on board the San Juan Bautista, which carried 350 captives bound for Vera Cruz, on the coast of Mexico, in the summer of 1619.

Nearing her destination, the slave ship was attacked by two English privateers, the White Lion and the Treasurer, in the Gulf of Mexico and robbed of 50-60 Africans. The two privateers then sailed to Virginia where the White Lion arrived at Point Comfort, or present-day Hampton, Virginia, toward the end of August.
I agree it went on much longer then it should have. Here's some more history:
"It was the Africans themselves who were enslaving their fellow Africans, sending them to the coast to be shipped outside," says researcher Akosua Perbi of the University of Ghana. (88K AIFF sound file or 88K WAV sound)

Based on her studies, Perbi says that European slave traders, almost without exception, did not themselves capture slaves. They bought them from other Africans, usually kings or chiefs or wealthy merchants.

The question is, why did Africans sell their own people?
For a thousand years before Europeans arrived in Africa, slaves were commonly sold and taken by caravans north across the Sahara.

"Slavery did exist in Africa," says Irene Odotei of the University of Ghana.

The Atlantic slave trade grew at a time when many African states were at war with each other, taking prisoners that could easily be sold to traders in exchange for guns.
http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/9510/ghana_slavery/

If slaves were never sold in the first place, there would never be slavery. Africans sold their own people to Europeans for guns to fight wars against themselves.
KAG
Mean Girl
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

morgan wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:31 pm

"It was the Africans themselves who were enslaving their fellow Africans, sending them to the coast to be shipped outside," says researcher Akosua Perbi of the University of Ghana. (88K AIFF sound file or 88K WAV sound)

Based on her studies, Perbi says that European slave traders, almost without exception, did not themselves capture slaves. They bought them from other Africans, usually kings or chiefs or wealthy merchants.

For a thousand years before Europeans arrived in Africa, slaves were commonly sold and taken by caravans north across the Sahara.

The Atlantic slave trade grew at a time when many African states were at war with each other, taking prisoners that could easily be sold to traders in exchange for guns.

If slaves were never sold in the first place, there would never be slavery. Africans sold their own people to Europeans for guns to fight wars against themselves.
Africa is a continent - not a single country, people or culture. There is no "own people" unless you are trying to define all those with pigmented skins as a single "people" . We know that some African people enslaved others, as was done by some Europeans, some Native Americans, and some English. People found ways to define different groups as "other" and lesser throughout history based on language, religion, genetics, or status.

This in no way negates the decision of the colonists to treat people as property, and to enact laws that defined people and their offspring as property based on skin color. They created a system of exploitation and abuse that spanned generations, was codified into law and enforced by government.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Africa is a continent - not a single country, people or culture. There is no "own people" unless you are trying to define all those with pigmented skins as a single "people" . We know that some African people enslaved others, as was done by some Europeans, some Native Americans, and some English. People found ways to define different groups as "other" and lesser throughout history based on language, religion, genetics, or status.

This in no way negates the decision of the colonists to treat people as property, and to enact laws that defined people and their offspring as property based on skin color. They created a system of exploitation and abuse that spanned generations, was codified into law and enforced by government.
Again:
European slave traders, almost without exception, did not themselves capture slaves. They bought them from other Africans, usually kings or chiefs or wealthy merchants.
KAG
Mean Girl
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

morgan wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Again:
European slave traders, almost without exception, did not themselves capture slaves. They bought them from other Africans, usually kings or chiefs or wealthy merchants.
I do not see your point. The series is on the institution of slavery in the American colonies, how that translated to wealth and independence from England, and the legacy of laws, culture and finances that followed.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:59 pm
morgan wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Again:
I do not see your point. The series is on the institution of slavery in the American colonies, how that translated to wealth and independence from England, and the legacy of laws, culture and finances that followed.
I commented on how awful it is that wealthy Africans sold poor Africans around the world for a thousand years. If this practice never occurred, there would have never been slavery in American colonies, or anywhere else in the world.
KAG
Mean Girl
Locked Previous topicNext topic