O'Rourke visits Arkansas gun show after releasing gun control platform

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:15 pm
Ledina60 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 pm
I never said I was afraid of guns.
Never.
But it’s very apparent that many people buy guns because they’re afraid of people!
I’m not!
Your words have said a great deal about how you feel about guns. Only police, military, and hunters.

I have never bought a gun because of being "afraid" of people, but I would damn sure use one if someone is trying to hurt us, and I'd be willing to bet you'd do the same to protect your loved ones. My brothers grandmother was almost 80 years old when someone broke in her home, raped her, and beat her within an inch of her life. She lost sight in one eye because of it. She didn't live in the "ghetto" and she didn't live in the "boondocks".
I have no problem with people owning guns for protection. Just had a conversation today with a friend who is 62, live alone, and is contemplating buying a gun. I live a rural hunting community and just about every farmer I know has a gun to protect their livestock or put them down if needed. I would guess that half the vendors at the market on Saturdays are concealed carrying and that actually gives me comfort as I know and completely trust these men and women and sometimes tourists get drunk and aggressive. I just wish every gun owner would weigh the "need" compared with the risks and take appropriate precautions. I am afraid of these young men I see open carrying who seem to only do so to intimidate (not many in my country but certainly in the next county over). When I see one, I know they're not local, they're not a farmer, and there is no way to tell if they're a "good guy" or a "bad guy".

We will never have a gun in our house as my husband has PTSD and depression and the risk to suicide is far greater than the risk of being unarmed in our county. We do leave our house unlocked and keys in our cars so risk is low. I wish that husbands and wives could "red flag" partners/spouses so that they couldn't purchase guns but honestly, deputies are not going to come into your home, even with flags, and confiscate your guns. It's too dangerous. I wish that parents would take into consideration when they have children (even teens) and secure their guns - we've lost kids in this county to accidental shootings. I wish hunters would take more precautions - we've lost them to hunting accidents. And I wish that roommates could stipulate no guns on a lease - mass shooting last year where an entire house taken out by a disturbed guy with a gun. Frankly, every gun death in our county for the past three years has been with the person's own gun or a gun owned by someone in their home.

High capacity is a whole 'nother ball game. I hate to enter into the conversation with my thoughts because I'm always corrected on terminology and told I don't know what I'm talking about. But I do know that 100 rounds in a drum chamber is stupid and dangerous and unnecessary. Personally, I like the way some European countries regulate guns where you get a specific license for use of the gun (personal protection, hunting, target shooting, etc.). But again, at this time, deputies aren't going to risk their lives (and it's a tremendous risk) to take people's guns away and our communities are saturated so it's hard to see how substantial changes could be make.

Just my two cents!
I think this article might disagree with your assertion. (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maryland-o ... rmed-man/)

Cops WILL do as they are ordered to do.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

29again wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:10 am
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Your words have said a great deal about how you feel about guns. Only police, military, and hunters.

I have never bought a gun because of being "afraid" of people, but I would damn sure use one if someone is trying to hurt us, and I'd be willing to bet you'd do the same to protect your loved ones. My brothers grandmother was almost 80 years old when someone broke in her home, raped her, and beat her within an inch of her life. She lost sight in one eye because of it. She didn't live in the "ghetto" and she didn't live in the "boondocks".
I have no problem with people owning guns for protection. Just had a conversation today with a friend who is 62, live alone, and is contemplating buying a gun. I live a rural hunting community and just about every farmer I know has a gun to protect their livestock or put them down if needed. I would guess that half the vendors at the market on Saturdays are concealed carrying and that actually gives me comfort as I know and completely trust these men and women and sometimes tourists get drunk and aggressive. I just wish every gun owner would weigh the "need" compared with the risks and take appropriate precautions. I am afraid of these young men I see open carrying who seem to only do so to intimidate (not many in my country but certainly in the next county over). When I see one, I know they're not local, they're not a farmer, and there is no way to tell if they're a "good guy" or a "bad guy".

We will never have a gun in our house as my husband has PTSD and depression and the risk to suicide is far greater than the risk of being unarmed in our county. We do leave our house unlocked and keys in our cars so risk is low. I wish that husbands and wives could "red flag" partners/spouses so that they couldn't purchase guns but honestly, deputies are not going to come into your home, even with flags, and confiscate your guns. It's too dangerous. I wish that parents would take into consideration when they have children (even teens) and secure their guns - we've lost kids in this county to accidental shootings. I wish hunters would take more precautions - we've lost them to hunting accidents. And I wish that roommates could stipulate no guns on a lease - mass shooting last year where an entire house taken out by a disturbed guy with a gun. Frankly, every gun death in our county for the past three years has been with the person's own gun or a gun owned by someone in their home.

High capacity is a whole 'nother ball game. I hate to enter into the conversation with my thoughts because I'm always corrected on terminology and told I don't know what I'm talking about. But I do know that 100 rounds in a drum chamber is stupid and dangerous and unnecessary. Personally, I like the way some European countries regulate guns where you get a specific license for use of the gun (personal protection, hunting, target shooting, etc.). But again, at this time, deputies aren't going to risk their lives (and it's a tremendous risk) to take people's guns away and our communities are saturated so it's hard to see how substantial changes could be make.

Just my two cents!
I think this article might disagree with your assertion. (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maryland-o ... rmed-man/)

I can't read the link you provided but perhaps I should have been more specific. In our county, deputies aren't going to go to people's homes to search and seize guns. They rely on voluntary relinquishing of guns or they seize guns when there is a unrelated search - i.e., a drug bust. If they are on a domestic abuse call and a gun is involved, they will seize any guns that are visible but they aren't going to return to the home and do a search and seizure. And they certainly won't go to someone's home that has been "flagged" to search and seize guns. This is straight from the county Sheriff's mouth. My husband is a 911 dispatcher and many of his calls are domestic calls. We have discussed this often.

I believe that gun seizure laws vary by state so again, what is protocol in my state may be different in another state.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:01 am

Just my two cents!

I can't read the link you provided but perhaps I should have been more specific. In our county, deputies aren't going to go to people's homes to search and seize guns. They rely on voluntary relinquishing of guns or they seize guns when there is a unrelated search - i.e., a drug bust. If they are on a domestic abuse call and a gun is involved, they will seize any guns that are visible but they aren't going to return to the home and do a search and seizure. And they certainly won't go to someone's home that has been "flagged" to search and seize guns. This is straight from the county Sheriff's mouth. My husband is a 911 dispatcher and many of his calls are domestic calls. We have discussed this often.

I believe that gun seizure laws vary by state so again, what is protocol in my state may be different in another state.
Florida is one state working on it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/brow ... story.html
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 276

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 am

Florida is one state working on it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/brow ... story.html
Thanks for posting! There was an interesting segment on NPR's A1 show this morning about red flag laws. 17 states and DC currently have them in effect and they have demonstrated to reduce gun suicides. I believe that it was also reported today that a study in California indicated that red flag laws may reduce the risk of mass shootings. That is all good. But in the NPR segment it was reported that police have to rely on the individual to relinquish their guns and as there is no national database, there is no way for law enforcement to know if all guns have been relinquished. In the article you posted, the police saw the guy's guns during a wellness check and confiscated them while also Baker Acting the guy. It is unclear if they would have "red flagged" him if they had not seen the guns?

Don't get me wrong, I think red flag laws are a step in the right direction but I think there need to be more steps.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Just my two cents!

Thanks for clarifying! I misunderstood what you were saying there.

I'm not sure how my county sheriff would handle these situations, since my state doesn't have a red flag law yet. The Gov mentioned something about it a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything more about it since then.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic