Poll: Nearly 70 percent of Americans say sitting president should be subject to criminal charges

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.

Should a sitting president should be subject to criminal charges?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 20
TheReluctantHippie
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Wtf? It’s okay, not everyone understands the criminal justice system, no need to be embarrassed and lash out at me because it happens that I do.
KnotaDinghy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 am
TheReluctantHippie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:50 am Whether the evidence is sufficient to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt is supposed to be decided by the jury, not as a condition of trial...
KnotaDinghy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:25 am If there is an allegation of a crime, it should be investigated fairly. If evidence is insufficient to prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt, the matter should be dismissed without prejudice - by all. If not, there should be criminal proceedings where a jury of unbiased peers weigh all evidence. If found guilty - punished accordingly. If found innocent - so be it.

No one is above the law.
No one should be treated differently.
Everyone is innocent until proven guilty - regardless of 'your' opinion.
Ok. You can continue on with you anti-Trump - convict - for -any -reason stance. Good luck with that.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

TheReluctantHippie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:46 am Wtf? It’s okay, not everyone understands the criminal justice system, no need to be embarrassed and lash out at me because it happens that I do.
KnotaDinghy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 am
TheReluctantHippie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:50 am Whether the evidence is sufficient to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt is supposed to be decided by the jury, not as a condition of trial...
Ok. You can continue on with you anti-Trump - convict - for -any -reason stance. Good luck with that.
I'm not embarrassed. Not in the least bit.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Deleted User 203

Unread post

To the part in your reply that I've underlined...THAT is why I've asked and because of the current social/political climate, particularly on social media sites, and many citing that an impeachment would ultimately lead to Trump's incarceration.

TheReluctantHippie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 am No.

An impeachment is trial to decide whether to remove an official from office. Totally different than a criminal trial, though a successful impeachment could, in theory, lead to criminal charges if criminal activity was the basis of the impeachment (it doesn’t have to be).
AZLizardLady wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 am Educate me...isn't this what an impeachment inquiry would be about?
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

I have always believed that a president should not be immune from criminal charges. I believe every other elected official isn't.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

Historically, I don't think any seated President has ever been successfuly impeached. And if I remember right there were one or two far worse than the current one.

An impeachment is trial to decide whether to remove an official from office. Totally different than a criminal trial, though a successful impeachment could, in theory, lead to criminal charges if criminal activity was the basis of the impeachment (it doesn’t have to be).
AZLizardLady wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 am Educate me...isn't this what an impeachment inquiry would be about?
TheReluctantHippie
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

If trump were impeached for obstruction of justice he could then be criminally charged after being removed from office. Pence could preemptively pardon him as Ford did for Nixon but I suspect if he were actually successfully removed from office, establishment republicans would start distancing themselves from him at lightning speed.
AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:54 am To the part in your reply that I've underlined...THAT is why I've asked and because of the current social/political climate, particularly on social media sites, and many citing that an impeachment would ultimately lead to Trump's incarceration.

Deleted User 203

Unread post

There are still quite a few establishment Republicans who seem to really like Trump (a rarity in politics today) and like what he's doing but like with any smart politician, they would literally have to distance himself if any of this were to ever happen, and just to save their own political hides.

TheReluctantHippie wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 pm If trump were impeached for obstruction of justice he could then be criminally charged after being removed from office. Pence could preemptively pardon him as Ford did for Nixon but I suspect if he were actually successfully removed from office, establishment republicans would start distancing themselves from him at lightning speed.
AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:54 am To the part in your reply that I've underlined...THAT is why I've asked and because of the current social/political climate, particularly on social media sites, and many citing that an impeachment would ultimately lead to Trump's incarceration.

Linaluo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Mother_of_Dragons wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 pm Voted, I stand with the smart majority.
LOL popularity contest.
"We were born free and we will stay free" -President Trump 2020
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:28 pm There are still quite a few establishment Republicans who seem to really like Trump (a rarity in politics today) and like what he's doing but like with any smart politician, they would literally have to distance himself if any of this were to ever happen, and just to save their own political hides.

TheReluctantHippie wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 pm If trump were impeached for obstruction of justice he could then be criminally charged after being removed from office. Pence could preemptively pardon him as Ford did for Nixon but I suspect if he were actually successfully removed from office, establishment republicans would start distancing themselves from him at lightning speed.

Who are they? Serious question. I've really been out of the loop.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 203

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:25 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:28 pm There are still quite a few establishment Republicans who seem to really like Trump (a rarity in politics today) and like what he's doing but like with any smart politician, they would literally have to distance himself if any of this were to ever happen, and just to save their own political hides.

Who are they? Serious question. I've really been out of the loop.
Mitch McConnell, Dan Crenshaw, Steven Scalise, Kevin McCarthy, Liz Cheney, David Nunes, Jim Jordan, Sean Duffy, Lindsey Graham ..to name a few.
Locked Previous topicNext topic