Bonus + Severance

Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

DH was told two weeks ago that his department is being "offshored" to India. They knew this was coming so starting a few months ago, 5 out of the 8 developers in his group have quit. He's not thrilled with continuing to work, but ...
  • his supervisor is also getting axed and has been approving 1 or 2 days vacation a week
    he gets severance if he works until the end of June
    and he gets a bonus
He's been saying that if he gets a good offer, he wants to quit now. I realized that making the June payout more concrete would help. He'll need a replacement car and wants a used 3 row SUV that costs about 20K. Well 9K would go really far toward that, so now I'm saying that's an engine and we can put the money directly toward a car.

Our only debt is medical and mortgage. He'll drive the car he has until it dies, but I'm surprised it made it this long.
J&M Mom
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Is the severance and bonus in writing?
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

J&M Mom wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:19 pm Is the severance and bonus in writing?
Unfortunately, no. He thinks that if the transition doesn't go well, they could pull it.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Verrine wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:55 pm
J&M Mom wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:19 pm Is the severance and bonus in writing?
Unfortunately, no. He thinks that if the transition doesn't go well, they could pull it.
If that's the case, it would be better to take a well-paying position if it became available. I wish that had been an option for us - while my DH's position wasn't off-shored, he was let go after a new company acquired his old one last year (after being assured for months that there was nothing to worry about and that anyone working when the transition was completed would have a place with the new company). It really set us back and we're going to be playing catch-up for a while even though his new job pays more than his old one did, because of issues that came up after he lost his old job.
Locked Previous topicNext topic