Stop comparing me to my neighbors

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I got my quarterly letter from the gas company telling me how much more gas we use than our neighbors. I’m going to call bs on those numbers unless everyone else around here uses electric everything. We have a gas dryer, gas stove, gas heater and gas water heater, it’s not like we leave things running to use more gas. Oh well, as long as I pay my bill i don’t seem a problem.
F6880BA7-1A87-4421-957E-984D723BAE87.jpeg
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It seems I use triple the amount of electricity than my neighbors. I guess they all sit around with candles
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

They are trying to show you your home may not be as energy efficient as it could be by showing you a comparison between your home and homes that may be similar to yours based on their proximity to you. Its not an exact science. But if you can use their tips for improving your efficiency, great. If not, toss it with the rest of your junk mail and move on. There is no reason to be offended.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I don't use any gas.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:49 pm They are trying to show you your home may not be as energy efficient as it could be by showing you a comparison between your home and homes that may be similar to yours based on their proximity to you. Its not an exact science. But if you can use their tips for improving your efficiency, great. If not, toss it with the rest of your junk mail and move on. There is no reason to be offended.
I’m not offended I figure we have all gas appliances and probably double the people of the homes around us. I just think their numbers are off.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Our house is mainly gas and 60 therms a month sounds crazy to me.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I can see how some people might find that info to be useful. For example, it could indicate that your home might not be well insulated, or that a more efficient furnace could save you money. If you don’t think it’s relevant, then just ignore it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

msgme wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:49 pm It seems I use triple the amount of electricity than my neighbors. I guess they all sit around with candles
My neighbors must be cooking with fire and taking cold showers. We live in an older neighborhood so I’m pretty sure everyone is still on has for heating and cooking. I guess they could have switched to electric buy I can’t see why they would gas is less expensive
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:02 pm Our house is mainly gas and 60 therms a month sounds crazy to me.
🤷🏼‍♀️ I have 7 people eating, showering and washing clothes. We don’t use the heat much so it’s mostly normal every day living. I had them out to check for leaks and they said everything is good
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:01 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:49 pm They are trying to show you your home may not be as energy efficient as it could be by showing you a comparison between your home and homes that may be similar to yours based on their proximity to you. Its not an exact science. But if you can use their tips for improving your efficiency, great. If not, toss it with the rest of your junk mail and move on. There is no reason to be offended.
I’m not offended I figure we have all gas appliances and probably double the people of the homes around us. I just think their numbers are off.

Maybe. Maybe not - my usage used to be really high and I knew it was high but I didn't realize by how much until the guy from the gas company told me about where it should be for a home the size of mine. It was my duct work. Since I replaced it my bill has been what the guy estimated it should be. I'd be thinking critically about how I might improve. Yours isn't the only home with several appliances using gas. It could be you are as efficient as you can possibly be, but typically there is room for improvement in just about any home. Your usage does seem high to me also, and you even said you dont use the heat much.
Locked Previous topicNext topic