Mother's day and mom just died

sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom almost 4 years ago and Mother's Day is still hard for me. Actually the whole month of May is tough because my parents anniversary is May 3, then Mother's Day and then we lost Mom on May 29.

You need to do whatever is going to help YOU get through the day. I would hope that your MIL and the extended family understand and if not, that is on them. Hugs as you navigate this tough situation.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

I'm so sorry. I totally understand why you don't want to go. Hopefully they can understand too.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

If it was me I would stay home and do my own thing. Depending on how close my DH is to his mother would determine whether I would strongly convince him to go to his mom's or let him stay home with me. Family dynamics are always tricky and there is never one right answer.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Those first few holidays after a death can be brutally hard. But your family can help you feel better. Don't forget that. No one ever really "gets over" a loss of that magnitude. Life is just different afterwards. Consider some therapy which might help a little.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

EarlGrayHot wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:57 am Those first few holidays after a death can be brutally hard. But your family can help you feel better. Don't forget that. No one ever really "gets over" a loss of that magnitude. Life is just different afterwards. Consider some therapy which might help a little.
Family does help. I talk with my sisters and dad a lot. My husband's family isn't my family. There are inlaws and they like to let me know that I am not one of them. Which is why I want nothing to do with them right now.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

CherryTreez wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:07 pm My mom died a few weeks ago. I am heartbroken. She wasn't young, but I miss my mom. Mother's day has been hard for me for years. My baby daughter died 10 years ago. I have tried to keep up the brave face for my other children. But I hate mothers day.

My mil wants a big family dinner at her house for mother's day. I told my dh that I am not going. I don't care what he tells them. I refuse to spend this mother's day with his mom and grandma and all the aunts..... they are not my mother. We have been with his mom the last 9 years. We don't live by my family.

I want to stay home with my children and do something that honors my mom. I feel bad because I know dh will choose to stay with me and the kids and not go to his moms. Would you suck it up and go? So stay home and do your own thing?
I would stay home and do my own thing. If you're not up to facing them, don't. Never feel like you have to spend time with anyone.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Rosehawk wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:46 pm
CherryTreez wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:07 pm My mom died a few weeks ago. I am heartbroken. She wasn't young, but I miss my mom. Mother's day has been hard for me for years. My baby daughter died 10 years ago. I have tried to keep up the brave face for my other children. But I hate mothers day.

My mil wants a big family dinner at her house for mother's day. I told my dh that I am not going. I don't care what he tells them. I refuse to spend this mother's day with his mom and grandma and all the aunts..... they are not my mother. We have been with his mom the last 9 years. We don't live by my family.

I want to stay home with my children and do something that honors my mom. I feel bad because I know dh will choose to stay with me and the kids and not go to his moms. Would you suck it up and go? So stay home and do your own thing?
I would stay home and do my own thing. If you're not up to facing them, don't. Never feel like you have to spend time with anyone.
Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic