What to do if your kids try to steal all of your joy?

Anonymous 1

I have three teenagers, every time I am happy about anything, or laugh at anything, or talk about anything I’m excited to do they either make fun of it, tell me why it’s stupid, or tell me why I shouldn’t do it. And these are not things that would be annoying to anyone else other than my kids. If I like a tv show, like a song, have a hobby, laugh at a stupid meme on the internet, anything at all they put down if they see I’m getting happy about it.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

I'd move! Let them try to make rent, lol.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

That was glib. I am sorry this is happening to you. I'm pretty sure I'd keep my enjoyment to myself, and dismiss their very uninformed opinions.
Anonymous 1

SallyMae wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:45 pm That was glib. I am sorry this is happening to you. I'm pretty sure I'd keep my enjoyment to myself, and dismiss their very uninformed opinions.
No, don’t worry , I laughed lol. I thinks that’s just what I’m going to do from now on. I watch a lot of British tv shows and they constantly make fun of me for it. I’m just going to stop watching the shows around them.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

I think I would respond the same way I would to a co-worker or neighbor that did this. Acknowledge what they said as rude and mean spirited, but in a calm and non-emotional voice.

"Hmmm. That was a rude comment to make. Why would you say that?"
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:53 pm
SallyMae wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:45 pm That was glib. I am sorry this is happening to you. I'm pretty sure I'd keep my enjoyment to myself, and dismiss their very uninformed opinions.
No, don’t worry , I laughed lol. I thinks that’s just what I’m going to do from now on. I watch a lot of British tv shows and they constantly make fun of me for it. I’m just going to stop watching the shows around them.
See I’d watch the British shows just to annoy them lol. Tell them if they interrupt the show to tease you that you’re happy to rewind and start the show over again. I’d stream it continually until they stopped. They’ll either get the point or go away.
Anonymous 2

I'd probably just tell them they don't have to like it but I enjoy it. I wouldn't stop just for them.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Do you talk to them about empathy? Have you explained to them that it hurts you and why? Remember that they are still young and still learning. Unfortunately a lot of popular culture encourages kids that it’s funny to put others down.

Honest question not as an insult, do you have a therapist to speak to? Yes they shouldn’t do those things and that should be worked on, but for your own mental health, your kids shouldn’t be able to steal all your joy. Mental health is as important as physical health.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

My kids don't do that.

But I grew up with siblings who did, so I've always told my kids it's OK to like what you want and it doesn't matter if others think it's cool or whatnot.

I'm sure they do find some of my favorite shows annoying but they've never expressed that.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

I couldn't imagine DD(17) behaving that way. But she IS my joy, so maybe that's the difference.

She'll watch sports with me (which she hates), silly YouTube videos, etc, And I also do things with her that SHE likes.

Do they get enough attention from you? It sounds almost as if they are jealous of anything that gets your attention and makes you happy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic