Article on being childfree

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My daughter and her partner do not want children and the fear they had in telling me was only matched by the surprise when I said sounds good. Sure society puts pressure on women to have children but so do many parents - that continuation of blood line which is extremely important in some cultures. I find that my daughter’s generation is less interested in bearing children (20 something’s) as many of my daughter’s peers have made the same decision. As this generation ages and my generation dies out, less emphasis will be placed on women carrying children, I’m convinced. Our society currently seems to put a huge emphasis on it but doesn’t then socially support it.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We generate way too many problems for ourselves…
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We generate way too many problems for ourselves…
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm I think that there also are women who would want to be mothers except they don’t want the loss of identity that our society tries to force on us. I’m not saying kids don’t take a lot of my time and aren’t a part of who I am, but I am still my own person and have my own life.
This. This right here. Society expects us to basically drop everything about us that makes us who we are in order to devote our entire selves into being a wife and/or mother. We're not supposed to have any interests or hobbies that cannot include our children and spouses. We're supposed to just be a wife and mother, nothing else. And society really loves ridiculing and inputting their unwarranted 2 cents if they see a woman who still has things she loves to do that do not include her children.

Even back in the OG Cafemom days, there were those who insisted once we became mothers that we had to abandon everything about us that made us who we were to become some stepford bitch.

Screw that.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Little boxes.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm I think that there also are women who would want to be mothers except they don’t want the loss of identity that our society tries to force on us. I’m not saying kids don’t take a lot of my time and aren’t a part of who I am, but I am still my own person and have my own life.
This. This right here. Society expects us to basically drop everything about us that makes us who we are in order to devote our entire selves into being a wife and/or mother. We're not supposed to have any interests or hobbies that cannot include our children and spouses. We're supposed to just be a wife and mother, nothing else. And society really loves ridiculing and inputting their unwarranted 2 cents if they see a woman who still has things she loves to do that do not include her children.

Even back in the OG Cafemom days, there were those who insisted once we became mothers that we had to abandon everything about us that made us who we were to become some stepford bitch.

Screw that.
When did anyone ever say that on cafemom?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 pm

Screw that.
Toomanypoodles
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:07 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 pm

Screw that.
Toomanypoodles
No idea who that is…
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The article is simply another example of how people should get their noses out of other people's lives and mind their own F***ing business. If someone wants kids, great. If they don't, fantastic. Anyone saying shit can f**k right off.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 am
"I have felt like a freak because of it," she said.
"I feel like my perspective and my experience is just not acceptable."
In Caroline's eyes, society is set up for motherhood.
"You realise how you're quite excluded from a lot of life," she said.
It’s weird how this is true, but at the same time not entirely true. Our society doesn’t benefit women.
YES!

I immediately thought, I could change just a few phrases and sentences and write the EXACT same article for

Single people
Childless couples
SAH parents (especially dads)
WOH parents (especially moms)

I can sympathize with their perspectives but feeling alone and ostracized from the “norm” is more “normal” than I think, actually feeling like you have a group to belong to!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic