I've never been so annoyed by a children's show

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 am
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 am You know what’s weird about the society we’ve created for ourselves?

Is that anytime a woman shares something that bothers her, she’s immediately told to shut up…and those people expect the same… they know that if they share something that bothers them, they’ll be told to shut up and sit down also.

As though we want to create a society where women are seen and not heard.
Nobody has told her to shut up just that she's taking it over the top. There's so many situations this could apply to.
Babies don't always survive childbirth. Nor do mothers.
Parents don't always survive car accidents.
Dad's don't always come home at the end of the day.
People don't always have a house to live in.
I could go on. It's why it's important to teach your kids that tv is not real and you shouldn't expect what happens on it to happen to you.
That has nothing to do with what I’ve said…
Bad things will always happen, and when they do, women will be told to shut up about it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:39 am
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 am You know what’s weird about the society we’ve created for ourselves?

Is that anytime a woman shares something that bothers her, she’s immediately told to shut up…and those people expect the same… they know that if they share something that bothers them, they’ll be told to shut up and sit down also.

As though we want to create a society where women are seen and not heard.
Nobody has told her to shut up just that she's taking it over the top. There's so many situations this could apply to.
I could go on. It's why it's important to teach your kids that tv is not real and you shouldn't expect what happens on it to happen to you.
Bad things will always happen, and when they do, women will be told to shut up about it.
You posted on a post where that literally didn't happen saying it always does...
That's also not my experience in life I'm sorry it's yours. Maybe you need to surround yourself with better people.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 am
MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 am I don't have little kids anymore so of course I didn't watch it. But this is the first negative review I've seen. All of the other feedback has been positive. Parents and kids loved it, they were crying happy tears etc. Many of the news outlets gave it positive reviews as well. This is a one off situation.
After what they told me, I was looking up reviews of the episode and saw a lot of parents felt the same way, especially military families. Bluey has always been known for its accurate depictions of parenthood and the lessons it teaches, so people were just surprised that they would take a situation many kids go through and end it with something that just wouldn’t happen.
No. There is one negative article written by a military family magazine who was upset at the episode because of an extremely rare circumstance. Much of like what you are doing here in comparing it to childhood cancer and moving.
https://militaryfamilies.com/military-k ... direction/

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -and-scary

And there are several Reddit feeds, as well as comment sections that say the same. A child moving isn’t “extremely rare circumstances.” I’m not “comparing it”, I am explaining the stress my friends are already going through and why moving is difficult but necessary.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I saw that episode and was disappointed in it. As a child we moved a lot and I would have really benefited from an episode like that...up until the end. I get why the creators did it (because having them move would mean having to revamp the whole show) but then have it be a different kid in the neighbourhood moving. That episode would have given me false hope too because my parents wouldn't have changed their plans just because I had finally made a best friend.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 am
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:39 am

You posted on a post where that literally didn't happen saying it always does...
That's also not my experience in life I'm sorry it's yours. Maybe you need to surround yourself with better people.
Paraphrasing words like “get over it” “fake outrage” “asinine”…. All words denoting “shut up about it”.

You know who works WAAAAY harder than men to keep women in their place? Other women.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 am
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am It's a cartoon. Period. End of story. Get over it. Bluey is a great 7 minute cartoon. There are a lot of great lessons in a 7 minute cartoon and the parents are super plugged in to Bluey and Bingo and teach them in every episode. I haven't seen that episode yet since it just dropped last week I believe, but again..it's. a. cartoon. Getting so worked up over it is silly IMO.
They aren’t “silly” for being annoyed that what was supposed to be an opportunity to help their kids through the move has just added additional stress to already very stressed out parents going through a very hard time. When you’re in that situation, you can tell people to “get over it.”
Let me rephase- YOUR fake outrage is asinine and silly. YOU need to get over it. It's a freaking cartoon. IF they are bothered, that's on them. Maybe they shouldn't put so much on a cartoon..
Yes, they should have watched the episode before they showed it to their children. BUT Bluey is a show that has become known and prides itself on helping children and parents navigate life and it's experiences. In this case they did a lot of kids a disservice by having an ending where the "bad thing" doesn't happen. I know, as a child, being given the knowledge that parents DO have the power to say "screw the job, we're staying because my kids don't want to move" would probably have broken me. We moved every 2-3 years from the time I was 4 until I was 14 as my Dad made his way up the ladder. As an adult I can see it was to give our family a better life but as a kid all I saw was that I finally had friends and I had to do it all over again.

Edited to add...I watch Bluey because it helps my inner child and the end of this episode gutted me, a 47 year old woman. You can say, get over it, call me a snowflake, whatever you want. I'm just sharing my experience and my feelings.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 am
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 am

They aren’t “silly” for being annoyed that what was supposed to be an opportunity to help their kids through the move has just added additional stress to already very stressed out parents going through a very hard time. When you’re in that situation, you can tell people to “get over it.”
Let me rephase- YOUR fake outrage is asinine and silly. YOU need to get over it. It's a freaking cartoon. IF they are bothered, that's on them. Maybe they shouldn't put so much on a cartoon..
Yes, they should have watched the episode before they showed it to their children. BUT Bluey is a show that has become known and prides itself on helping children and parents navigate life and it's experiences. In this case they did a lot of kids a disservice by having an ending where the "bad thing" doesn't happen. I know, as a child, being given the knowledge that parents DO have the power to say "screw the job, we're staying because my kids don't want to move" would probably have broken me. We moved every 2-3 years from the time I was 4 until I was 14 as my Dad made his way up the ladder. As an adult I can see it was to give our family a better life but as a kid all I saw was that I finally had friends and I had to do it all over again.

Edited to add...I watch Bluey because it helps my inner child and the end of this episode gutted me, a 47 year old woman. You can say, get over it, call me a snowflake, whatever you want. I'm just sharing my experience and my feelings.
Exactly. I’m not “outraged” and screaming for the show to be cancelled, but it is disappointing and I do feel badly for my friends who really didn’t need the extra layer of stress. It is already so hard for them to leave this house. Yes, it’s a cartoon, but children use media like shows and books to help them process difficult feelings and when Bluey is a show that is known for giving accurate portrayals of life, to take a scenario that so many kids go through and give it an ending that just doesn’t happen is disappointing. Most four year olds do not developmentally fully understand the difference between real and what’s on tv.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I'm only now being somewhat introduced to the world of Bluey through our youngest daughter and her son (one of our grandbabies).

Very cute show designed to capture the attention span of a young child that can only manage about the ten minutes each episode is.

Our grandson appears to like the opening music and we dance to it together. But that's about it.

Best bet for any parent is to honestly tell their child that the shows they watch may not always be realistic to THEIR life and is meant just to make them smile or laugh.

Kids can understand that.
just an old coot 😉🌵
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:13 am I'm only now being somewhat introduced to the world of Bluey through our youngest daughter and her son (one of our grandbabies).

Very cute show designed to capture the attention span of a young child that can only manage about the ten minutes each episode is.

Our grandson appears to like the opening music and we dance to it together. But that's about it.

Best bet for any parent is to honestly tell their child that the shows they watch may not always be realistic to THEIR life and is meant just to make them smile or laugh.

Not disagreeing with you, but it is also written for adults/parents or at least with the idea that the parents are probably watching as well. If you are just being introduced, it’s probably that you haven’t watched enough episodes, yet.

https://medium.com/@e.nijssen/bluey-is- ... 10699232cf

ETA:
This episode wrecked me completely. It’s like they looked into me and my partner’s life when our firstborn was around 1–1.5 years old. After sobbing for a bit and rewatching the episode a couple of times, my emotions turned to stupefied anger. What the f*&k, this is a cartoon for five-year olds. This is a cartoon sponsored by the Australian government. What government allows — and this isn’t hyperbole — world-class storytelling (how they condensed this into 7 minutes is not understood by science yet), obvious tearjerker scenes, genuine connection with common parental struggles all at the same time as making a humorous and coherent story that can be enjoyed by kids ages 3–10? It’s like PBS writing Better Call Saul. Scrubs, presented by the European Council. This is one of those flash in the pan unique episodes, right?
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:57 am
AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:13 am I'm only now being somewhat introduced to the world of Bluey through our youngest daughter and her son (one of our grandbabies).

Not disagreeing with you, but it is also written for adults/parents or at least with the idea that the parents are probably watching as well. If you are just being introduced, it’s probably that you haven’t watched enough episodes, yet.

https://medium.com/@e.nijssen/bluey-is- ... 10699232cf

ETA:
This episode wrecked me completely. It’s like they looked into me and my partner’s life when our firstborn was around 1–1.5 years old. After sobbing for a bit and rewatching the episode a couple of times, my emotions turned to stupefied anger. What the f*&k, this is a cartoon for five-year olds. This is a cartoon sponsored by the Australian government. What government allows — and this isn’t hyperbole — world-class storytelling (how they condensed this into 7 minutes is not understood by science yet), obvious tearjerker scenes, genuine connection with common parental struggles all at the same time as making a humorous and coherent story that can be enjoyed by kids ages 3–10? It’s like PBS writing Better Call Saul. Scrubs, presented by the European Council. This is one of those flash in the pan unique episodes, right?
I understand what you're getting at. I really do

But TV shows can also be for entertainment purposes only, as well. IOW, these shows should not always have to contain a message, educationally or otherwise.

It's still up to the parents to define those differences and clarify to their children that a TV show can just be for fun, too.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic