New neighbors' opinions

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Our new neighbors have lived there for several months but the other night they started talking about trans people and how disgusting that is and blah, blah, blah. I shouldn't have felt shock but I did. I just feel that people should keep their extreme opinions to themselves. My child is trans and I know there is no way that they know that so they weren't saying it because of that...they were just saying it because I don't know why but I wish they hadn't. How would you have responded to this if you were me? I will let you know how I responded here in a little bit.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'd hang a trans flag in my living room window right where they can see. I myself have the progress pride flag and an ally flag hanging in my windows.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think in the moment I would've just said something like "Everyone has their own opinion" and then tried to get myself out of that conversation as fast as I could. Going forward I would no longer be neighborly to them. Like, not be rude, but not be neighborly either. And if they try to engage me in conversation I would politely back myself out of it as fast as I could.

They are allowed their opinion, but there is nothing that says that I have to interact with them in any way. And if they cornered me and asked my point blank then I would tell them point blank that I don't want any interaction with them because I find their opinion revolting.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

My opinion of you just went up a couple of points! :lol: But I'm not really the type to wave any type of flags whether it be political or pro gay/trans, etc. I just keep big issues like that to myself and/or to people that I know and trust.
Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:34 pm I'd hang a trans flag in my living room window right where they can see. I myself have the progress pride flag and an ally flag hanging in my windows.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would have told them that someone I love is trans and I am so proud of them for being true to themselves despite how some feel about them. I would also inform them of how many trans people turn to self harm because of the judgment they face from society so maybe they should rethink openly stating things like that. Then I would have left the conversation and not spent time with that neighbor anymore. I am all fine with friends and neighbors having differences in opinion from me, but I have boundaries and bigotry is one of those boundaries. I’m not going to be friends with someone who is racist, transphobic, etc just because they are otherwise nice to me. And I don’t think people should keep their extreme opinions to themselves, I want to know who I don’t want to invite over for a cookout.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yeah, at one point I said "that's the world today" in a very calm, dry way as to not have a debate. But they kept going so I said I know a trans person and I love and care about them and I call them the pronouns they want to be called and I call them the name they want to be called. The lady went on to complain. We got interrupted and we went our separate ways which I was very glad. The whole conversation really got inside of me and bothered me for the rest of the night and part of the next day.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:34 pm I think in the moment I would've just said something like "Everyone has their own opinion" and then tried to get myself out of that conversation as fast as I could. Going forward I would no longer be neighborly to them. Like, not be rude, but not be neighborly either. And if they try to engage me in conversation I would politely back myself out of it as fast as I could.

They are allowed their opinion, but there is nothing that says that I have to interact with them in any way. And if they cornered me and asked my point blank then I would tell them point blank that I don't want any interaction with them because I find their opinion revolting.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would have said "Well everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion" then walked away and not dealt with them again within a casual conversation manner. I do not need or want toxic people in my life and conversation with them would be kept to a very minimal.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:04 pm My opinion of you just went up a couple of points! :lol: But I'm not really the type to wave any type of flags whether it be political or pro gay/trans, etc. I just keep big issues like that to myself and/or to people that I know and trust.
Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:34 pm I'd hang a trans flag in my living room window right where they can see. I myself have the progress pride flag and an ally flag hanging in my windows.
I have it in my house as opposed to outside where it can be vandalized or stolen, but yeah, I'm definitely reaching the "f**k it" stage in regard to keeping my opinions to myself. Besides it makes pretty rainbows on the floor.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Well, now you know….I would have simply given my counter point opinion while also asking “Could you be friends with a family who has a transgender child, parent, partner?” If they say no, then say well, since our views don’t align I think we would both be more comfortable if we simply remain “wave hello” neighbors.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is ZERO need for every person walking about to be politically correct. There is however ZERO room for hate. So as long as my neighbor didn’t cause harm to my child, I wouldn’t worry about their opinion at all.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:01 pm Our new neighbors have lived there for several months but the other night they started talking about trans people and how disgusting that is and blah, blah, blah. I shouldn't have felt shock but I did. I just feel that people should keep their extreme opinions to themselves. My child is trans and I know there is no way that they know that so they weren't saying it because of that...they were just saying it because I don't know why but I wish they hadn't. How would you have responded to this if you were me? I will let you know how I responded here in a little bit.
Where were they when they were talking, and where were you that you heard them?
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic