Um boss-that's not how a Christmas party works LOL

Anonymous 1

Unread post

So my husband is in charge of his work Christmas party (why I really don't know) but he briefed the boss tonight that everything is set for Friday night. It's in a large party room of a local business from 6-9. 55 people. They have a Santa for the kids, little gift from Santa etc. So my DH gets to the food part and tells him the catering is set from a local restaurant. The boss says oh. I was thinking more of a pot luck. My Dh said no sir. He told me this and I was like WTF. This is in a nice place on the ocean and lets not forget a Christmas party is to thank and honor the employees not make them do work and bring the food LOL! What kind of thank you everyone involves you bringing the food??
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:23 pm So my husband is in charge of his work Christmas party (why I really don't know) but he briefed the boss tonight that everything is set for Friday night. It's in a large party room of a local business from 6-9. 55 people. They have a Santa for the kids, little gift from Santa etc. So my DH gets to the food part and tells him the catering is set from a local restaurant. The boss says oh. I was thinking more of a pot luck. My Dh said no sir. He told me this and I was like WTF. This is in a nice place on the ocean and lets not forget a Christmas party is to thank and honor the employees not make them do work and bring the food LOL! What kind of thank you everyone involves you bringing the food??
Yeah, pot luck Christmas parties are more for volunteer based organizations or groups and not for work related functions. (That goes for the hospital pot luck Xmas party while on shift too, Cater that crap.)
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My husband's work gave a retiree of 30 plus years a "taco bar" retirement party. They only supplied the meat and expected everyone else to supply the toppings lol.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

When I was a teacher, we had to pitch in for all of our celebrations, plus separate celebrations for all of the other staff groups. I wouldn't expect to find that in the private sector...
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah I agree, that's not how a Christmas Party works.

But are office Christmas parties really still a thing? I haven't had a company Christmas party since like 2001. At the last big office I worked at, our small department maybe went out to lunch over the lunch hour on the company dime but that was about it. Do people still actually enjoy spending their busy December personal time getting together with the people they already spend 40 hours a week with?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:31 pm Yeah I agree, that's not how a Christmas Party works.

But are office Christmas parties really still a thing? I haven't had a company Christmas party since like 2001. At the last big office I worked at, our small department maybe went out to lunch over the lunch hour on the company dime but that was about it. Do people still actually enjoy spending their busy December personal time getting together with the people they already spend 40 hours a week with?
Oh my husband was pushing for the luncheon on company time. But it was vetoed. And the answer to your last question is no. We can’t wait to just get this over with. The boss is angry that certain people said sorry they can’t make it. Why this pressure type party is a thing I have no idea. And if you don’t go now you look shitty in the bosses eyes. There is a roof top deck with ocean views and heaters and that’s where I’ll be lol.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I'm personally not a fan of pot lucks unless we know the people doing the cooking and/or baking well...their cleanliness in their kitchens, if they wash their hands routinely, etc.

I'm picky but have gotten very sick from pot lucks I've been to in the past.

IME, a Christmas party is either at a nice restaurant or a catered site. However, this is what it is in your husband's case and vs offending the boss, those that are actually going to attend can buck up and coordinate together on what to bring.

It's one night. Make do.
just an old coot 😉🌵
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Potlucks are gross.

Besides, a Company party means the Company is paying for everything. A potluck would be more like an employee get together.

Boss is a cheapskate.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

One time on FB on a cooking video I was reading through comments and I saw one person comment "You mean to tell me people wash their hands multiple times while cooking a meal?" and my immediate thought was 'are you going to tell me you DON'T?' I mean, I want to believe the comment was fake but, you know, people.

I've also known people who won't eat other people's food brought in from home for allergy reasons. I worked with a guy who always wanted to try what other people brought in, but he had allergies, and since he couldn't guarantee there was no cross-contamination he just avoided it all.

That's why public pot lucks should really just be a thing of the past.
AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:16 pm I'm personally not a fan of pot lucks unless we know the people doing the cooking and/or baking well...their cleanliness in their kitchens, if they wash their hands routinely, etc.

I'm picky but have gotten very sick from pot lucks I've been to in the past.

IME, a Christmas party is either at a nice restaurant or a catered site. However, this is what it is in your husband's case and vs offending the boss, those that are actually going to attend can buck up and coordinate together on what to bring.

It's one night. Make do.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:31 pm Yeah I agree, that's not how a Christmas Party works.

I'm in charge of ours and it was a huge victory when I convinced the boss to have it on a Friday afternoon. We eat a catered lunch, and then everyone takes off except for one person to answer the phones, which is usually me. All our employees like it so much more than doing something off hours. Most of us have kids and would rather spend time with them
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic