Um boss-that's not how a Christmas party works LOL

RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:31 pm Yeah I agree, that's not how a Christmas Party works.

But are office Christmas parties really still a thing? I haven't had a company Christmas party since like 2001. At the last big office I worked at, our small department maybe went out to lunch over the lunch hour on the company dime but that was about it. Do people still actually enjoy spending their busy December personal time getting together with the people they already spend 40 hours a week with?
I think it's all in the execution. My company does an all expenses paid trip with multiple fine dining dinners, happy hours with open bar, etc. Our company is not all in this office, we have offices across the state. But even if we did see each other all the time, I think a free trip somewhere makes it worth it.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

The not washing the hands makes me nauseous. I know I'm being prissy about it but I just can't understand why some won't do it.

After getting food poisoning twice from pot lucks, I have become almost stern about my NO with them.

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:20 pm One time on FB on a cooking video I was reading through comments and I saw one person comment "You mean to tell me people wash their hands multiple times while cooking a meal?" and my immediate thought was 'are you going to tell me you DON'T?' I mean, I want to believe the comment was fake but, you know, people.

I've also known people who won't eat other people's food brought in from home for allergy reasons. I worked with a guy who always wanted to try what other people brought in, but he had allergies, and since he couldn't guarantee there was no cross-contamination he just avoided it all.

That's why public pot lucks should really just be a thing of the past.
AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:16 pm I'm personally not a fan of pot lucks unless we know the people doing the cooking and/or baking well...their cleanliness in their kitchens, if they wash their hands routinely, etc.

I'm picky but have gotten very sick from pot lucks I've been to in the past.

IME, a Christmas party is either at a nice restaurant or a catered site. However, this is what it is in your husband's case and vs offending the boss, those that are actually going to attend can buck up and coordinate together on what to bring.

It's one night. Make do.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 1

Unread post

What's even worse about this party is that he has had a few people come up to him telling him they are bringing pot luck food to the party. Why?? The food is being catered. The menu is: Thai meatballs, braised short ribs, citrus chicken, garlic mashed red skin potatoes, steamed vegetables, rolls. Then desserts of course. There is no need to bring pot luck food!! And by them doing so the boss will now think that people DO want pot luck food instead of catered by a restaurant. People are strange.
AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm The not washing the hands makes me nauseous. I know I'm being prissy about it but I just can't understand why some won't do it.

After getting food poisoning twice from pot lucks, I have become almost stern about my NO with them.

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:20 pm One time on FB on a cooking video I was reading through comments and I saw one person comment "You mean to tell me people wash their hands multiple times while cooking a meal?" and my immediate thought was 'are you going to tell me you DON'T?' I mean, I want to believe the comment was fake but, you know, people.

I've also known people who won't eat other people's food brought in from home for allergy reasons. I worked with a guy who always wanted to try what other people brought in, but he had allergies, and since he couldn't guarantee there was no cross-contamination he just avoided it all.

AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:16 pm I'm personally not a fan of pot lucks unless we know the people doing the cooking and/or baking well...their cleanliness in their kitchens, if they wash their hands routinely, etc.

I'm picky but have gotten very sick from pot lucks I've been to in the past.

IME, a Christmas party is either at a nice restaurant or a catered site. However, this is what it is in your husband's case and vs offending the boss, those that are actually going to attend can buck up and coordinate together on what to bring.

It's one night. Make do.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The only potential issue I see with that menu is that there are only 2 things for the vegetarians (maybe 3 depending on how the potatoes are made) and really only one thing for the vegans. Now if it's known for sure that no one in your group follows those diets then it's most likely fine. Just depends on your group and their specific food needs.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:55 pm What's even worse about this party is that he has had a few people come up to him telling him they are bringing pot luck food to the party. Why?? The food is being catered. The menu is: Thai meatballs, braised short ribs, citrus chicken, garlic mashed red skin potatoes, steamed vegetables, rolls. Then desserts of course. There is no need to bring pot luck food!! And by them doing so the boss will now think that people DO want pot luck food instead of catered by a restaurant. People are strange.
AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm The not washing the hands makes me nauseous. I know I'm being prissy about it but I just can't understand why some won't do it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic