What would your DD do?

sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Wondering how your daughters would handle a situation...

DD is 16 and a junior in HS. She got her schedule for the 2nd trimester along with the Google classroom invites last night. She got put into a wood shop class that she wanted, but she is pretty sure she is the only girl in the class. There are about 15-20 kids in class. She knows most of the boys in the class, but is not friends with them. She loves the teacher and is excited for the class, but does not want to be the only girl. She said if she gets there today and is the only girl then she is going to transfer out and see about taking the class some other time. I told her it might be ok being the only girl especially with this particular teacher, but ultimately the choice is hers to make.

What would your daughter do in this situation? Would she stay in the class as the only girl or would she try to find a different time to take the class?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't think my kid has ever expressed hesitation on being the "only girl" in a class. Now there have been issues with being assigned group projects with a bunch of lazy ass boys that half-ass assignments and she's gotta cover their asses but usually in that instance she does the project twice, once as the group and once on her own so she doesn't get docked points for them being f**k ups.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd worry about the boys teaming up and harassing her.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Idk…if that were to happen my DH, her dad, would be her teacher, so I don’t see her being too intimidated by being the only girl.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:44 am I'd worry about the boys teaming up and harassing her.
That is definitely not an issue for her. She can hold her own against this group, but the teacher would never allow it to come to that. On top of that, she has an older brother who most of these boys know and like so they would leave her alone.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm not sure my daughter would even care. I was basically the only girl in my shop class, there was one other but she usually ditched! It never really bothered me. I guess I was probably 15.

I'd hate to see any child not pursue something they're interested in for a reason like that. 💔
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:07 pm I'm not sure my daughter would even care. I was basically the only girl in my shop class, there was one other but she usually ditched! It never really bothered me. I guess I was probably 15.

I'd hate to see any child not pursue something they're interested in for a reason like that. 💔
If she switches classes then she will take this class at a different time. Either next trimester or next school year. She is not necessarily taking the class because she is interested in wood shop, but more because everyone loves this teacher and enjoys his classes so she tries to schedule at least one class a year with him. He was DS's favorite teacher as well and DS has actually stayed in touch with him since graduation.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I took electrical and I was the only girl in the class, never had a issue at all with the guys, and none were my friends My daughter was the only girl on both the high school and city football team. Again no issues.

If she wants to take the class she should. Once you are in it and working away (especially with the tech classes), you are in your own zone.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

None of them would have a problem with that. I was the only girl in my computer class in hs way back when it was DOS, lol. My oldest was the only girl in auto shop. Ydd is the only girl in one of her gaming clubs. Mdd was one of two girls in one of her 3D art class, she wasn’t friends with the other girl, in fact she down right disliked the other girl, even more so after she intentionally damaged one dd’s project for her AP portfolio.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My daughter was the only girl in woodshop and she was sexually harrassed every single day. She didn't tell me until the class was already over- which is VERY uncharacteristic of her. She will normally tell me if a boy even looks at her wrong. Apparently, she was also being bullied that year which she also didn't tell me about. That entire year was a weird year.

This year, my daughter is the only girl in her math class. She is not being sexually harassed but she did say she hates the class. She says that when it's all or mostly boys, they get very toxic and they're mean to the teacher. She hates it but her school does not allow you to change out of classes for something like that, especially since she already changed her schedule around for other reasons.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic