Do you think 14 year olds should be able to drive?

leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

imo thats too young
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:42 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:27 pm
A lot of 16+ year olds will carpool with younger kids or older college age kids will still drive their siblings. From the people I know who homeschooled the parents did it at night after work.

Life is just different in the farmlands I guess
OK, but the parents still found a way to homeschool up until age 14, so why couldn't they continue to do it for 2 more years?

I have experience in the farmlands of southern MN. Lots of small towns surrounded by lots of big farms. They still found a way to school and transport kids without them driving alone at age 14.
Why keep it up when it is legal for their kid to drive to school?

They might even have hardship licenses in MN. Have you ever actually looked it up?
Obviously it's legal. You've said that already. But you asked us all our opinion on whether it should be allowed, basically whether it should be legal or not. My opinion, along with several others, is that no it should not be legal because I see no valid reason for them not to wait until they are 16.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:55 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:42 pm

OK, but the parents still found a way to homeschool up until age 14, so why couldn't they continue to do it for 2 more years?

I have experience in the farmlands of southern MN. Lots of small towns surrounded by lots of big farms. They still found a way to school and transport kids without them driving alone at age 14.
Why keep it up when it is legal for their kid to drive to school?

They might even have hardship licenses in MN. Have you ever actually looked it up?
Obviously it's legal. You've said that already. But you asked us all our opinion on whether it should be allowed, basically whether it should be legal or not. My opinion, along with several others, is that no it should not be legal because I see no valid reason for them not to wait until they are 16.
Okay. Thanks for your opinion
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Team SIL. Most 16 year old's aren't ready for a license either.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Rosehawk wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:09 pm Team SIL. Most 16 year old's aren't ready for a license either.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

14 is a bit too young for my taste, school and back or not. In fact I wish licenses were more restrictive until 21.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:43 pm Where I live 14 year olds are allowed to get permits to drive themselves to school and back home. They have to meet certain requirements. My DD has a permit and has been driving herself to school.

Where I live it is completely normal and no one questions it but my SIL thinks it is crazy. She says no 14 year old should drive ever. That would leave many kids here unable to attend school

What do you think?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

9 year olds drove tractors between grandma's farm and daddy's farm down the road where I grew up. Perspective and context is everything.

In some situtations I think its fine.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I get the importance of it in some areas. However, I live in Atlanta and there is no way in the world I'd allow my daughter to drive right now. She is one of the most level headed teens I know at almost 14, but it is super crazy here on the roads. No 14 year old needs to be driving here that is for sure. That said, I am not in agreement with 18 either. I think 16 is perfect... mainly because I'm over being the chauffeur. I spend so much time in my car it is ridiculous since I'm carting kids everywhere constantly. I told my dd that when she is 16 she will have a license and a car and she will be doing the driving as I need a break.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
thunderkiss65
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I know 30ys who should not be allowed to drive. That said, no I don't think 14 is anywhere near mature enough to drive without a responsible adult. With a responsible adult, maybe. I also agree that the driving age should be raised to 18 without a licensed driver, unless the 16yo is emancipated with a job.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

No.
I think kids should get a learner’s permit at age 15 and take a drivers test at age 16 only after achieving a certain number of hours practice with an adult in the car.
Locked Previous topicNext topic