Do you think 14 year olds should be able to drive?

LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:46 pm I think you should be 18 to drive.
I agree with this also.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:34 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm

A lot of kids live 40-50+ miles from the school in all different directions. School buses are not a viable option

I don't know any 14 year olds that have had issues doing it. I drove at 14 and I was not impulsive at all
Here the parents just drive the kids to centralized drop offs and the buses take them the rest of the way.
A lot of parents work early in the morning so that wouldn't be a viable option either

Most farm workers are up at 3-5am. Even he factory shifts start at 5
A lot of parents here commute 5+ hours a day and are leaving home by 3 am too. They work it out.
So how did these people homeschool their kids up until age 14 if they aren't home?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:37 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:34 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Here the parents just drive the kids to centralized drop offs and the buses take them the rest of the way.
A lot of parents work early in the morning so that wouldn't be a viable option either

Most farm workers are up at 3-5am. Even he factory shifts start at 5
A lot of parents here commute 5+ hours a day and are leaving home by 3 am too. They work it out.
So how did these people homeschool their kids up until age 14 if they aren't home?
When they get home or even online
Deleted User 172

Unread post

For my 14 year old no. I would love to start teaching him to drive now though.
I guess I'll be teaching him at the bumper cars though.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:43 pm Where I live 14 year olds are allowed to get permits to drive themselves to school and back home. They have to meet certain requirements. My DD has a permit and has been driving herself to school.

Where I live it is completely normal and no one questions it but my SIL thinks it is crazy. She says no 14 year old should drive ever. That would leave many kids here unable to attend school

What do you think?
I agree with your sil
Legal or not, 14 is too young to be behind the wheel of a vehicle. But living in a bumfuck backwoods area, a lot of common sense rules are dismissed and equally stupid things are allowed to happen
Thankfully I dont and never will live in this type of area.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:27 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:16 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:56 pm

A lot of kids get to school because their older siblings are driving. Some people actually have to home school until 14. I think some kids live up to 50 miles maybe even more from the school so buses are not a viable option
About when it's the oldest sibling that is aging up and it's the oldest sibling that is 12, 13 years old? Are they just homeschooling all the kids until the oldest reaches 14? If the parent is there to homeschool, why can't the parent just drive them to school? Or if the kids are homeschooling up to age 14, what's so wrong with homeschooling up to age 16?

I'm having trouble envisioning a mass situation where it's so important for a 14yo to drive that it wasn't so important at age 12/13 but is such an issue that it can't wait until 16.
So I'm going to say no, I don't think 14yo's should be able to drive, because I don't understand why it's so important for them to drive two years earlier. Even 16 - 18 year olds often don't have the maturity to handle driving on their own, and there is a huge difference in maturity level between age 14 and age 16. 14yos should not be given that kind of responsibility.

I get it. My 14yo who will be 15 in Oct wants to go somewhere every weekend that is 80 miles away. We can't take him every single weekend because we have conflicting schedules, so we take him twice a month. If he could drive himself he could go every single weekend. But he'll have to wait 14 more months before he can do that. It's life and it's part of being a parent. You are responsible for transporting your kids until they reach an age to transport themselves. That includes transporting your own 14 and 15 year olds.
A lot of 16+ year olds will carpool with younger kids or older college age kids will still drive their siblings. From the people I know who homeschooled the parents did it at night after work.

Life is just different in the farmlands I guess
OK, but the parents still found a way to homeschool up until age 14, so why couldn't they continue to do it for 2 more years?

I have experience in the farmlands of southern MN. Lots of small towns surrounded by lots of big farms. They still found a way to school and transport kids without them driving alone at age 14.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I think the longer kids have to practice driving, the safer they'll be on the road.
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It's a no from me. My driving kids (adults now) all got their permits at 15 1/2-16 and their license at 18. A 14 year old doesn't have the maturity to drive 50+ miles to school every morning safely, especially with younger passengers. And it doesn't matter that they do it all the time, it still isn't safe. It sounds like an old law that has stood only because the parents can't be bothered to make appropriate arrangements.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:42 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:27 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:16 pm

About when it's the oldest sibling that is aging up and it's the oldest sibling that is 12, 13 years old? Are they just homeschooling all the kids until the oldest reaches 14? If the parent is there to homeschool, why can't the parent just drive them to school? Or if the kids are homeschooling up to age 14, what's so wrong with homeschooling up to age 16?

I'm having trouble envisioning a mass situation where it's so important for a 14yo to drive that it wasn't so important at age 12/13 but is such an issue that it can't wait until 16.
So I'm going to say no, I don't think 14yo's should be able to drive, because I don't understand why it's so important for them to drive two years earlier. Even 16 - 18 year olds often don't have the maturity to handle driving on their own, and there is a huge difference in maturity level between age 14 and age 16. 14yos should not be given that kind of responsibility.

I get it. My 14yo who will be 15 in Oct wants to go somewhere every weekend that is 80 miles away. We can't take him every single weekend because we have conflicting schedules, so we take him twice a month. If he could drive himself he could go every single weekend. But he'll have to wait 14 more months before he can do that. It's life and it's part of being a parent. You are responsible for transporting your kids until they reach an age to transport themselves. That includes transporting your own 14 and 15 year olds.
A lot of 16+ year olds will carpool with younger kids or older college age kids will still drive their siblings. From the people I know who homeschooled the parents did it at night after work.

Life is just different in the farmlands I guess
OK, but the parents still found a way to homeschool up until age 14, so why couldn't they continue to do it for 2 more years?

I have experience in the farmlands of southern MN. Lots of small towns surrounded by lots of big farms. They still found a way to school and transport kids without them driving alone at age 14.
Why keep it up when it is legal for their kid to drive to school?

They might even have hardship licenses in MN. Have you ever actually looked it up?
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yeah. I started younger than that Up North on dirt roads. Idk, it’s probably just different here but driver’s training is only a formality here. Everyone already knew how, lol. And you can start it at 14.
Locked Previous topicNext topic