Do you think 14 year olds should be able to drive?

Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Vegaswife2011 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm I think that’s too young. Where do you live with all of these working and driving 14 years olds?
I am in Nebraska.
Hmm. Glad it’s working out for you.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No, I do not. I don't think 16yr olds should drive either. I would be fine with the legal age being 18.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SIL is right. Teens are WAY too young to make the decisions and pay attention when they are 16 much less at 14!
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, in some situations. I think I’m rural areas kids can drive at 14.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:56 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm

You can get many types of jobs at 14 too. At least here. What solution do you have for all the students that rely on permits to get to school?
I wish the kids didn’t have to be 16 here to work. It’s dumb. We have buses here for the kids and parents that drive so I don’t know anyone who would have to drop out at 14 because they didn’t have a way to school. I do realize other areas are different though. To answer your question how did the get to school at age 13?
A lot of kids get to school because their older siblings are driving. Some people actually have to home school until 14. I think some kids live up to 50 miles maybe even more from the school so buses are not a viable option
About when it's the oldest sibling that is aging up and it's the oldest sibling that is 12, 13 years old? Are they just homeschooling all the kids until the oldest reaches 14? If the parent is there to homeschool, why can't the parent just drive them to school? Or if the kids are homeschooling up to age 14, what's so wrong with homeschooling up to age 16?

I'm having trouble envisioning a mass situation where it's so important for a 14yo to drive that it wasn't so important at age 12/13 but is such an issue that it can't wait until 16.
So I'm going to say no, I don't think 14yo's should be able to drive, because I don't understand why it's so important for them to drive two years earlier. Even 16 - 18 year olds often don't have the maturity to handle driving on their own, and there is a huge difference in maturity level between age 14 and age 16. 14yos should not be given that kind of responsibility.

I get it. My 14yo who will be 15 in Oct wants to go somewhere every weekend that is 80 miles away. We can't take him every single weekend because we have conflicting schedules, so we take him twice a month. If he could drive himself he could go every single weekend. But he'll have to wait 14 more months before he can do that. It's life and it's part of being a parent. You are responsible for transporting your kids until they reach an age to transport themselves. That includes transporting your own 14 and 15 year olds.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:16 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:56 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:54 pm
I wish the kids didn’t have to be 16 here to work. It’s dumb. We have buses here for the kids and parents that drive so I don’t know anyone who would have to drop out at 14 because they didn’t have a way to school. I do realize other areas are different though. To answer your question how did the get to school at age 13?
A lot of kids get to school because their older siblings are driving. Some people actually have to home school until 14. I think some kids live up to 50 miles maybe even more from the school so buses are not a viable option
About when it's the oldest sibling that is aging up and it's the oldest sibling that is 12, 13 years old? Are they just homeschooling all the kids until the oldest reaches 14? If the parent is there to homeschool, why can't the parent just drive them to school? Or if the kids are homeschooling up to age 14, what's so wrong with homeschooling up to age 16?

I'm having trouble envisioning a mass situation where it's so important for a 14yo to drive that it wasn't so important at age 12/13 but is such an issue that it can't wait until 16.
So I'm going to say no, I don't think 14yo's should be able to drive, because I don't understand why it's so important for them to drive two years earlier. Even 16 - 18 year olds often don't have the maturity to handle driving on their own, and there is a huge difference in maturity level between age 14 and age 16. 14yos should not be given that kind of responsibility.

I get it. My 14yo who will be 15 in Oct wants to go somewhere every weekend that is 80 miles away. We can't take him every single weekend because we have conflicting schedules, so we take him twice a month. If he could drive himself he could go every single weekend. But he'll have to wait 14 more months before he can do that. It's life and it's part of being a parent. You are responsible for transporting your kids until they reach an age to transport themselves. That includes transporting your own 14 and 15 year olds.
A lot of 16+ year olds will carpool with younger kids or older college age kids will still drive their siblings. From the people I know who homeschooled the parents did it at night after work.

Life is just different in the farmlands I guess
Anonymous 5

Unread post

No why not use school buses? 14 year olds are too impulsive to drive.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:29 pm No why not use school buses? 14 year olds are too impulsive to drive.
A lot of kids live 40-50+ miles from the school in all different directions. School buses are not a viable option

I don't know any 14 year olds that have had issues doing it. I drove at 14 and I was not impulsive at all
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:29 pm No why not use school buses? 14 year olds are too impulsive to drive.
A lot of kids live 40-50+ miles from the school in all different directions. School buses are not a viable option

I don't know any 14 year olds that have had issues doing it. I drove at 14 and I was not impulsive at all
Here the parents just drive the kids to centralized drop offs and the buses take them the rest of the way.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Here the parents just drive the kids to centralized drop offs and the buses take them the rest of the way.
A lot of parents work early in the morning so that wouldn't be a viable option either

Most farm workers are up at 3-5am. Even he factory shifts start at 5
Locked Previous topicNext topic