Do you think 14 year olds should be able to drive?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Where I live 14 year olds are allowed to get permits to drive themselves to school and back home. They have to meet certain requirements. My DD has a permit and has been driving herself to school.

Where I live it is completely normal and no one questions it but my SIL thinks it is crazy. She says no 14 year old should drive ever. That would leave many kids here unable to attend school

What do you think?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I agree with your SIL.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I think you should be 18 to drive.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

No that’s too young. 16 is good because that is when the kids here can apply for jobs and start working.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:49 pm No that’s too young. 16 is good because that is when the kids here can apply for jobs and start working.
You can get many types of jobs at 14 too. At least here. What solution do you have for all the students that rely on permits to get to school?
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think that’s too young. Where do you live with all of these working and driving 14 years olds?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:53 pm I think that’s too young. Where do you live with all of these working and driving 14 years olds?
I am in Nebraska.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:49 pm No that’s too young. 16 is good because that is when the kids here can apply for jobs and start working.
You can get many types of jobs at 14 too. At least here. What solution do you have for all the students that rely on permits to get to school?
I wish the kids didn’t have to be 16 here to work. It’s dumb. We have buses here for the kids and parents that drive so I don’t know anyone who would have to drop out at 14 because they didn’t have a way to school. I do realize other areas are different though. To answer your question how did the get to school at age 13?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm
I wish the kids didn’t have to be 16 here to work. It’s dumb. We have buses here for the kids and parents that drive so I don’t know anyone who would have to drop out at 14 because they didn’t have a way to school. I do realize other areas are different though. To answer your question how did the get to school at age 13?
A lot of kids get to school because their older siblings are driving. Some people actually have to home school until 14. I think some kids live up to 50 miles maybe even more from the school so buses are not a viable option
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I am in Alaska, all 5 of mine got their learner's permit at 14. I welcome the extra two years to teach them how to handle the ice, snow, rain, and moose, However it is a permit and not a license, but I can understand it in farm country, I mean so many of those kids are already driving farm equipment.
Locked Previous topicNext topic