Do you think 14 year olds should be able to drive?

jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Depends on your environment. NYC? f**k no. Out in BFE? sure.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:06 pm No.
I think kids should get a learner’s permit at age 15 and take a drivers test at age 16 only after achieving a certain number of hours practice with an adult in the car.
DD had to get a learners permit before this and she had to have a certain amount of hours practice before she could get this permit
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

14 year olds are nowhere nearly mature enough or responsible enough to drive.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
KaiandKadensMama
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Hell no. The adults need more drivers ed out here.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm 9 year olds drove tractors between grandma's farm and daddy's farm down the road where I grew up. Perspective and context is everything.

In some situtations I think its fine.
But tractors don't go 75mph down country roads posing a threat to themselves and anyone in their way. I don't know if I've ever even seen a tractor reach 20mph. And yes, kids can still get hurt while driving tractors, but I think the risk is way below that of driving a car.

Many years back, a 16yo neighbor kid and his friend were driving down a two lane country road surrounded by corn fields. A classmate of theirs was coming down the road from the other direction, recognized the vehicle, and thought it would be fun to play a game of chicken with them. The neighbor kid and his friend didn't want to but not much they could do, not much time to react. At the last second both vehicles swerved in the same direction and hit head on. The neighbor kid and his friend died. The kid who initiated the game lived. The families were devastated.
And 14 year old's have 2 more years of immaturity on this kid. You don't think they won't make the same stupid-ass mistakes? Or worse ones?

No, even in farm country, 14yo's driving vehicles is just asking for an accident to happen.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. I think 16 is really too young to drive.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm
Smarties wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm 9 year olds drove tractors between grandma's farm and daddy's farm down the road where I grew up. Perspective and context is everything.

In some situtations I think its fine.
But tractors don't go 75mph down country roads posing a threat to themselves and anyone in their way. I don't know if I've ever even seen a tractor reach 20mph. And yes, kids can still get hurt while driving tractors, but I think the risk is way below that of driving a car.

Many years back, a 16yo neighbor kid and his friend were driving down a two lane country road surrounded by corn fields. A classmate of theirs was coming down the road from the other direction, recognized the vehicle, and thought it would be fun to play a game of chicken with them. The neighbor kid and his friend didn't want to but not much they could do, not much time to react. At the last second both vehicles swerved in the same direction and hit head on. The neighbor kid and his friend died. The kid who initiated the game lived. The families were devastated.
And 14 year old's have 2 more years of immaturity on this kid. You don't think they won't make the same stupid-ass mistakes? Or worse ones?

No, even in farm country, 14yo's driving vehicles is just asking for an accident to happen.

The point is that some kids have been driving a long time, and I don't know the conditions of the roads between home and school for the kids getting these licenses. I wouldn't let mine have a license at 14 but I have known kids who that would be okay for in certain areas. Sounds like the 16 year olds in your story were very immature. Some 16 year olds are. Some 20 year olds do stupid things too. Age isn't the only factor.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

How do kids who do not have permits get to school?
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 pm How do kids who do not have permits get to school?
They take the bus or get a ride from their parents or a friend’s parents.
They can’t drive with only a Permit you know.
Locked Previous topicNext topic