Weird? Entitled? Perfectly acceptable?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I honestly don’t know how I feel about this situation

My dad has cancer and this second round of chemo is making him lose his hair.

He’s dating a woman who’s husband died about 10 years ago who’s husband also died of cancer. The lady gave my dad a hat that was her husband’s and one he wore when he was battling cancer.

The lady has grown daughters, the youngest is 27 or 28 and when she saw my dad wearing the hat she got incredibly upset and screamed at her mother and told my dad he couldn’t wear the hat.

I can understand being upset because of her dad dying but it seems to be a very strong reaction to a hat.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If it brought up memories and the daughter associated that hat with her dad, those are her reactions and feelings and valid for her
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Why would she keep her husband's hat for 10 years unless it held extremely fond memories. If it holds those type of memories that why would she let someone she's dating wear it? The whole story is weird.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Considering that her dad died 10 years ago, yes, it's an oddly strong reaction for a hat. I can understand the hat having memories and meaning, but 10 years later getting hysterical? If I was the mom I wouldn't allow her to get away with yelling at me like that.

The daughter is entitled to her feelings but she's not entitled to yell at anyone because of them. Ultimately it's the mom's choice whether she wants her new beau wearing her old husband's hat or not. The daughter can build a bridge.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don’t blame her. That’s her dads hat.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:11 am If it brought up memories and the daughter associated that hat with her dad, those are her reactions and feelings and valid for her
Valid for her but it doesn't give her the right to scream at her mother. 10 years later and she's still having strong reactions like that? I'd say she hasn't properly dealt with her feelings over the past decade.
CrazyJenn
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:28 am I don’t blame her. That’s her dads hat.
This, exactly.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 am
Bubbs wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:11 am If it brought up memories and the daughter associated that hat with her dad, those are her reactions and feelings and valid for her
Valid for her but it doesn't give her the right to scream at her mother. 10 years later and she's still having strong reactions like that? I'd say she hasn't properly dealt with her feelings over the past decade.
I have my grandfathers hat hanging in my living room. He’s been gone 8 years. I have dealt with my loss, but I would be upset if someone was wearing it. (I wouldn’t scream, but that’s not my personality) and most time no one has the right to scream, but they do.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I can completely understand the daughters reaction and it is a very valid reaction.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am Considering that her dad died 10 years ago, yes, it's an oddly strong reaction for a hat. I can understand the hat having memories and meaning, but 10 years later getting hysterical? If I was the mom I wouldn't allow her to get away with yelling at me like that.

The daughter is entitled to her feelings but she's not entitled to yell at anyone because of them. Ultimately it's the mom's choice whether she wants her new beau wearing her old husband's hat or not. The daughter can build a bridge.
Get away with?
I don’t know what she could do about the yelling? Sure I don’t yell at my mom, but if I did, what could she do other than choose not to have me around?
Locked Previous topicNext topic