Parents sue school because middle schooler used black marker to color in his hair

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know, I'd have to really hear both sides of the situation. The family of the child feel it's a racial/civil rights issue. I don't think that is really something you can gain a clear understanding about with the article.

I think the situation was handled poorly, but IF you eliminate race form the situation, so if my child, just wore a hairstyle that was against the rules & this happened, I feel seeking for monetary damages demonstrates an example of over-parenting and catering to emotional illness instead of building emotional resiliency. There are many life skills & lessons to be learned here:

Sometimes life isn't fair, sometimes you make mistakes & the consequences suck, sometimes people in authority make bad choices & you need to know when to stand up for yourself. Sometimes you make choices you regret (i.e. let people color your scalp with Sharpie) & you take ownership of that poor choice/failure, you don't blame others.

There's a reason we have such anxiety & stress disorders in our youth, we don't teach them the above lessons. The child is 13, not 5, he can drive a car in 2-3 years and needs to understand how to make critical life decisions. Instead we normalize self-pity and demonstrate how to fight reactive battles for them instead of teaching them to be proactive and take control of their emotions.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:42 am https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/ ... m=referral

School handbook says no extreme hair styles and something along the lines about cuts, fades, Mohawks and something else (personally can’t remember)

Kid comes in with a design in his hair. He is given 3 options

Call his mom
Color it in with a black sharpie
Receive disciplinary action.

Kid chooses to color in his hair.

Parents get pissed and went to the media and have now sued because of it.

Kid is 13.

Parents knowingly allowed their 13 year old to break school rules and are now suing because they didn''t like what happened?
The school should have held him in the office and contacted a parent to remove him until they/he could follow school rules.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Were those options in the handbook? Did the parents sign it? If so, I don’t have a problem with it. If the consequence was something that was made up on the stop.. I have a problem with it.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:05 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:03 am

Markers don't damage your body lmao.
It leaves a semi-permanent mark that takes days to scrub off. That is damaging. If I scribbled in sharpie on your coach, you would say I damaged your property.
Because it will never come off fabrics or leathers. However,it will come off of skin within a couple of day@
Exactly. And a couple of days is NOT permanent damage worth suing over. The PARENTS had to have known the hair requirements and LET THEIR CHILD ATTEND SCHOOL THAT WAY ANYHOW. Therefore, THEY are the ones at fault for the child even being put in the situation in the first place, and it is THEIR OWN FAULT, not the school's.
Locked Previous topicNext topic