Everyday struggle

Deleted User 670

Unread post

SeekingPeace wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 am That's really pretty! I've always wanted to learn how to croquet. I wish I could teach myself!
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 pm
jas wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Oh wow! That should come out like lace, yeah? Sounds pretty!
Yeah, that's what I'm going for. This is the pattern I'm using. I'm really rusty, it's slow going.
You totally can!! Crochet is just a series of slip knots. There are lots (tons) of how two videos on youtube. And there are tons of simple and easy patterns for beginners. You could start off with something simple like a small square potholder or coaster.

And there are books available with lots of illustrations to walk you through each step. One of my Aunts taught me how to crochet and do granny squares. She was a wiz at it, she made sweaters and vests. I can make blankets, I don't have the patience to sit and count stitches for increasing and decreasing that is required for sweaters and tops, etc. Maybe one day, lol. But I've made several crochet blankets. I made a huge one big enough for a double bed for my brother out of blue yarn (his favorite color) using the shell stitch. I made a baby blanket for my niece using a double chain and a boubble stitch and wove thin ribbon through the alternating double chain stitches. I made a huge one for myself using same pattern, that I throw on the bed when I need some extra warmth. I didn't weave ribbon through the double chain stitches thought. I learned how to do the shell stitch and the double chain/boubble pattern from pattern booklets I found at craft stores.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:53 am OMG! I was just thinking about that show yesterday. Now, you have me wanting to binge watch it all over again. I miss that show!
iamanon wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:19 am I spent several hours binge watching Downton Abbey. I did manage to clean the bathroom as well.
The full length movie comes to US theaters next month. I am excited.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Gonna have to just commit to trying! Thanks for mentioning YouTube. I think I could probably learn more easily from that than a book.
jas wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:58 am
SeekingPeace wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 am That's really pretty! I've always wanted to learn how to croquet. I wish I could teach myself!
Yeah, that's what I'm going for. This is the pattern I'm using. I'm really rusty, it's slow going.
There are many youtube videos out there that are great for learning! Also - check with your local library or rec center. Sometimes they have people come in and give classes.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Jas was just saying the same thing about learning from YouTube. I just might have to give it a try! I'll bet your brother really loved the blanket that you made for him! :) And I'll bet your niece really treasures the baby blanket that you made for her, too. I can't imagine how long it must have taken you to make those blankets (especially the really big ones)! What a gift they are. My sister made me a quilt when I married. I continue to say that it was my favorite gift of all time! :)

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:23 am
You totally can!! Crochet is just a series of slip knots. There are lots (tons) of how two videos on youtube. And there are tons of simple and easy patterns for beginners. You could start off with something simple like a small square potholder or coaster.

And there are books available with lots of illustrations to walk you through each step. One of my Aunts taught me how to crochet and do granny squares. She was a wiz at it, she made sweaters and vests. I can make blankets, I don't have the patience to sit and count stitches for increasing and decreasing that is required for sweaters and tops, etc. Maybe one day, lol. But I've made several crochet blankets. I made a huge one big enough for a double bed for my brother out of blue yarn (his favorite color) using the shell stitch. I made a baby blanket for my niece using a double chain and a boubble stitch and wove thin ribbon through the alternating double chain stitches. I made a huge one for myself using same pattern, that I throw on the bed when I need some extra warmth. I didn't weave ribbon through the double chain stitches thought. I learned how to do the shell stitch and the double chain/boubble pattern from pattern booklets I found at craft stores.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

The blue one took years, lol. I ran out of yarn and Red Heart had stopped making that color for a while. Don't give away all your creations. Be sure to make something for yourself too.
SeekingPeace wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm Jas was just saying the same thing about learning from YouTube. I just might have to give it a try! I'll bet your brother really loved the blanket that you made for him! :) And I'll bet your niece really treasures the baby blanket that you made for her, too. I can't imagine how long it must have taken you to make those blankets (especially the really big ones)! What a gift they are. My sister made me a quilt when I married. I continue to say that it was my favorite gift of all time! :)

SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's crazy! You are one dedicated person to work that long on it! Do you take pics of all the things you make? You should!
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 pm The blue one took years, lol. I ran out of yarn and Red Heart had stopped making that color for a while. Don't give away all your creations. Be sure to make something for yourself too.
SeekingPeace wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm Jas was just saying the same thing about learning from YouTube. I just might have to give it a try! I'll bet your brother really loved the blanket that you made for him! :) And I'll bet your niece really treasures the baby blanket that you made for her, too. I can't imagine how long it must have taken you to make those blankets (especially the really big ones)! What a gift they are. My sister made me a quilt when I married. I continue to say that it was my favorite gift of all time! :)

Deleted User 670

Unread post

No, I'm not that dedicated, lol. I used the blanket as a throw and then one day I discovered a Woolsworth that was still around and they had the sky blue yarn. So I bought what they had and finished it. No, I don't take pics of what I make usually. I did take a pic of the blanket that I recently knitted though. It's posted here on the craft forum.
SeekingPeace wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 pm That's crazy! You are one dedicated person to work that long on it! Do you take pics of all the things you make? You should!
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 pm The blue one took years, lol. I ran out of yarn and Red Heart had stopped making that color for a while. Don't give away all your creations. Be sure to make something for yourself too.

SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Good old Woolworth's. You could always trust them to find all the little notions that you couldn't find elsewhere! OMG! I just had flashbacks of them selling those tiny little (live) turtles, too! Do you remember that?!!! :lol:

I'll go check out that blanket of yours in the craft forum.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 pm No, I'm not that dedicated, lol. I used the blanket as a throw and then one day I discovered a Woolsworth that was still around and they had the sky blue yarn. So I bought what they had and finished it. No, I don't take pics of what I make usually. I did take a pic of the blanket that I recently knitted though. It's posted here on the craft forum.
SeekingPeace wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 pm That's crazy! You are one dedicated person to work that long on it! Do you take pics of all the things you make? You should!
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Vaguely. What I remember the most about Woolsworth as a child was getting all dressed up to catch the bus downtown with my grandmother to get her hair done and eating at the lunch counter at Woolsworth when she was done.
SeekingPeace wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:54 pm Good old Woolworth's. You could always trust them to find all the little notions that you couldn't find elsewhere! OMG! I just had flashbacks of them selling those tiny little (live) turtles, too! Do you remember that?!!! :lol:

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 pm No, I'm not that dedicated, lol. I used the blanket as a throw and then one day I discovered a Woolsworth that was still around and they had the sky blue yarn. So I bought what they had and finished it. No, I don't take pics of what I make usually. I did take a pic of the blanket that I recently knitted though. It's posted here on the craft forum.

Anonymous 2

Unread post

I was just mentioning that lunch counter to my DS! I was telling him, "You could get anything and everything at this tiny 5&dime store, Woolworth's. You could get your hair done, buy sewing supplies, buy fish/turtles, and then you could mosey on up to the lunch counter and order a turkey club with a root beer float...all in the same store!" LOL

ETA: This is SeekingPeace. I don't know why it keeps posting anon.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:56 pm Vaguely. What I remember the most about Woolsworth as a child was getting all dressed up to catch the bus downtown with my grandmother to get her hair done and eating at the lunch counter at Woolsworth when she was done.
SeekingPeace wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:54 pm Good old Woolworth's. You could always trust them to find all the little notions that you couldn't find elsewhere! OMG! I just had flashbacks of them selling those tiny little (live) turtles, too! Do you remember that?!!! :lol:

Locked Previous topicNext topic