How to handle this kid situation

Deleted User 670

Unread post

If this were my kid, he would be paying for a new pair of glasses and would not be allowed to play video games for the rest of the summer.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:29 am If this were my kid, he would be paying for a new pair of glasses and would not be allowed to play video games for the rest of the summer.

He's 8, doesn't have any money, and is only here half the time so it would be difficult for him to figure out how to earn that much given his age and the amount of time he's here. I think you're right about the games.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

How old are the boys? Is her time with oldest eow? Is this normal behavior for the youngest?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:35 am How old are the boys? Is her time with oldest eow? Is this normal behavior for the youngest?

She has most of the summer but less time during the school year - eow and 2 nights every other week. He's 8.

The older one is 13. He's here sporadically. Never spends the night - he doesnt have a room here - but she does things with him a few times a week. Not really any kind of schedule.

ETA: I sometimes see impulsive behavior from the younger one. He tries to act grown up usually, which I dont think is good. He's not normally destructive but he often does things before he thinks.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:29 am If this were my kid, he would be paying for a new pair of glasses and would not be allowed to play video games for the rest of the summer.

He's 8, doesn't have any money, and is only here half the time so it would be difficult for him to figure out how to earn that much given his age and the amount of time he's here. I think you're right about the games.
I'd put his ass to work. He'd be scrubbing toilets, floors, dusting, closets, etc. I'd find him lots ways to work off the cost of a new pair of frames.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

First, when she hands that child back to his dad, she should also put cash IN HIS HAND for the glasses along with her own sincere apologies.

Second, she needs to increase supervision. Kids are like a stoplight. They can be playing just fine (green) and then quickly go to not fine (red.) But there's always a yellow warning light in between. Sometimes it's a quick yellow, but it's there. She needs to intervene on yellow. Remove him from the situation and give him a chance to calm himself. Allowing him to get to red and destroy shit is not good for the boy.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That kid would not have video games for a LONG time for that behavior.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He needs to apologize to his brother.
Mom needs to have a talk with him about sportsman like conduct.
He should losing gaming privileges for awhile.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think she might benefit from some parenting classes if she has to ask you how to handle this. She should easily be able to figure out sibling fighting issues. Sounds like she could use as assist.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:35 am How old are the boys? Is her time with oldest eow? Is this normal behavior for the youngest?

She has most of the summer but less time during the school year - eow and 2 nights every other week. He's 8.

The older one is 13. He's here sporadically. Never spends the night - he doesnt have a room here - but she does things with him a few times a week. Not really any kind of schedule.

ETA: I sometimes see impulsive behavior from the younger one. He tries to act grown up usually, which I dont think is good. He's not normally destructive but he often does things before he thinks.
I think 8 is old enough to do some chores to “pay “ for the glasses. Mom can even make a sheet to keep track of what he’s earned so that he can see he’s making progress and get an overall visual of one of the consequences to being impulsively destructive.

I’d also recommend she talks with yds. See if he can work through his reaction. Also watch if this becomes a norm or just a one time thing. He may have things he’s working through.

There’s a big difference between 8 and 13, the boys also have limited time together. I am not sure I think grounding him from games for the whole summer if this is one of the few things the boys do together is the best answer. But would do a shorter grounding, then after that only allowing game time if he’s playing with his brother for the remainder of the summer.
Locked Previous topicNext topic