Getting a heavy kid active

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm trying to get my nine year old a little more active - I was shocked by her weight at her latest ped appointment - but she's completely disinterested in pretty much all forms of exercise. She hates riding a bike, she doesn't like hiking, she doesn't enjoy swimming, or even dancing or gymnastics. That's partially due to her weight (she gets exhausted and sweaty very quickly doing anything more than a walk) but she's also just really not interested.
What can I do to get her involved? I don't want to force her to do exercise she hates, but it's real hard to find something she doesn't hate...
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Honestly if it's a health issue I would force it. I always have told my kids they have to be active to stay healthy.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I took my daughter to a kids gym. The instructor was very engaging and the equipment was fun ( balance beam, giant yoga balls, trapeze, foam pit, trampoline). She would make a friend and go play.
Now that she is older she likes to workout with me.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:08 am Honestly if it's a health issue I would force it. I always have told my kids they have to be active to stay healthy.
My only worry is making exercise a chore for her instead of fun. I want to set her up for health in the long term too.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:16 am I took my daughter to a kids gym. The instructor was very engaging and the equipment was fun ( balance beam, giant yoga balls, trapeze, foam pit, trampoline). She would make a friend and go play.
That does sound like fun! Do you think that sort of gymnastics is suitable for a heavy girl though? It sounds a bit high-impact for a heavier girl.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:21 am
Inmybizz wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:16 am I took my daughter to a kids gym. The instructor was very engaging and the equipment was fun ( balance beam, giant yoga balls, trapeze, foam pit, trampoline). She would make a friend and go play.
That does sound like fun! Do you think that sort of gymnastics is suitable for a heavy girl though? It sounds a bit high-impact for a heavier girl.
Yes, I do. There were heavier children there and they had no problems. There was also other play equipment.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Do you have a YMCA near you? They have fitness programs that are geared towards kids.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

How did she get that heavy without you noticing?
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Horseback riding? Geocaching? Trampoline park? Rock wall climbing? There are ways to be active that are also fun. I get bored by exercise for exercise’s sake, too.

Or you could incentivize physical activity, that is motivating to some kids. Make achievable goals for active time, do a special activity or (non food) treat if she meets them.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:03 am Horseback riding? Geocaching? Trampoline park? Rock wall climbing? There are ways to be active that are also fun. I get bored by exercise for exercise’s sake, too.

Or you could incentivize physical activity, that is motivating to some kids. Make achievable goals for active time, do a special activity or (non food) treat if she meets them.
This
Locked Previous topicNext topic