Getting a heavy kid active

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Have you tried a Wii Fit system? They have dancing games, bowling games, and other activities that you do inside, and it can be a good way to get started.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My kids move a lot more when other kids or friends are involved. Are there neighborhood kids that play outside a lot?

I also do have the rule, you have to choose one physical activity/sport. I do not care what it is, but they just have to be in something. I understand your concerns about forcing her, but you make her go to school, and I bet some days, she’s not so into it, right? Do you fret about her hating reading forever? Probably not. Try to view activity from the same perspective, it is something she just has to do.

My DS did wrestling, he sucked at it, lol, but there is no great hate about exercise. He now knows, he can try something else next year.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Martial Arts.
This is two-fold..the child becomes active and learns life skills while doing it. Martial Arts will increase self esteem, self discipline, get her active, and she will learn self defense at the same time. Both of my girls are in Karate. My oldest is 13 and a 2nd degree black belt while my youngest is 10 and will test for her 1st degree black belt this fall. There are some pretty overweight kids at the Dojo and some of them have lost some weight already from what I can tell.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:03 am Horseback riding? Geocaching? Trampoline park? Rock wall climbing? There are ways to be active that are also fun. I get bored by exercise for exercise’s sake, too.

Or you could incentivize physical activity, that is motivating to some kids. Make achievable goals for active time, do a special activity or (non food) treat if she meets them.
Those are some good ideas! Thanks. She actually really likes horses. Though I don't know how much exercise actually goes on in riding..?
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Steal the battery out of your own car. "Oops..won't start. Guess we're walking!"
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53 am How did she get that heavy without you noticing?
It just sort of crept up... she's always been pretty chubby, but I guess over the past couple of years her diet has gotten pretty bad and every time I thought she was going to shoot up and slim down she just kept getting heavier.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Also, I wonder about the getting exhausted/heavy breathing/sweating...she asthmatic? Allergies? Pets in the home?
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:32 am My kids move a lot more when other kids or friends are involved. Are there neighborhood kids that play outside a lot?

I also do have the rule, you have to choose one physical activity/sport. I do not care what it is, but they just have to be in something. I understand your concerns about forcing her, but you make her go to school, and I bet some days, she’s not so into it, right? Do you fret about her hating reading forever? Probably not. Try to view activity from the same perspective, it is something she just has to do.

My DS did wrestling, he sucked at it, lol, but there is no great hate about exercise. He now knows, he can try something else next year.
Her two best friends are also very heavy so that makes things difficult.
I'm just afraid of making physical activity a thing that she only does when she's being forced to by me. I can see that being problematic in the future if I foster that attitude now.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am Also, I wonder about the getting exhausted/heavy breathing/sweating...she asthmatic? Allergies? Pets in the home?
She is asthmatic but she has a puffer to deal with it. No allergies/pets.
I don't want to fool myself or make excuses - she completely sedentary and she's very heavy for her age, so it's no surprise that she finds exercise tiring :/
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Try swimming. Great exercise, low impact on her joints, and cool water.
Locked Previous topicNext topic