The judge ordered 50/50 custody for a 3 week old baby

Anonymous 13

Unread post

PinkMartini wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:49 pm
Yoloo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 pm
PinkMartini wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:40 pm
Why would it not be?
Do you live under a rock? Do you honestly think it is the norm for custody to be 50/50 from just after birth?

It isnt good for a baby to be passed around like a hot potato
Under this rock judges give parents 50/50 custody, unless there is a reason not to. The baby being three weeks old would not be a reason
Breastfeeding is a reason.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 pm But breast feeding should not interfere with a father who wants, and deserves equal time with his child. If that were the case then any woman can go to court and say “but I am breastfeeding, so I get baby 100% of the time”. To what end then? 6 months when baby starts solids? 1 year when most formula fed babies are put on cows milk? Or longer because Mom believes in extended breast feeding.

Nope, Dad has just as much right and formula isn’t the end of the world.

Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:24 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:53 pm

They do both work but DD is on maternity leave right now
It is odd because we’ve come a long way to ensure that women can breast feed if they choose. That’s too bad
I understand babies don’t need to be breastfed and in the long run it doesn’t make any difference. It’s sad if the mother had her heart set on it. I’m just wondering how the father will handle not working every other week. What kind of job allows that? You are either taking a paternity leave or you’re not. And since the mother told a maternity leave what is she supposed to do every other week?
Anonymous 8

Unread post

You would think that these parents could find a way so that both mom and dad could see this baby more frequently than just once a week. Seems very odd to me.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

PinkMartini wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:27 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:05 pm My daughter went to court with her ex. They had the court date set up when she was pregnant to be after the baby would be born. She was shocked when the judge ordered 50/50 custody every other week. So she gets DD for a week and he gets her for a week.

She is pretty heart broken. She has friends who have been in similar positions and none of them had 50/50 for a baby so young. Usually it was that dads have the kid on weekends or even split during the day.

DD was breastfeeding and now that likely wont be possible because her ex doesnt want to deal with breast milk. She will have to go a week at a time without seeing her baby which would be so hard. I am not saying that I dont think dad doesnt deserve time with the baby. It is a sucky situation all the way around.

No one wants to see a baby that young bounce around except the judge I guess.

6 months ago they were happily married and excited for the baby and now it is a huge mess. I am sad for mom, dad, and baby
I would expect a judge to award 50/50 custody to the father, if he wanted it. Gone are the days were the mother automatically received primary custody, and the dad received every other weekend. Frankly, she should have expected this.
Actually this is extremely rare and honestly I have never heard it happening. If she is exclusively breastfeeding in my state they don't even allow overnights until 1yr and 50/50 would not happen until then either.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

In most states that is what happens. They won't allow overnights or 50/50 for at least a year if exclusively breastfeeding. That is how it is in my state.
Msprekteacher wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 pm But breast feeding should not interfere with a father who wants, and deserves equal time with his child. If that were the case then any woman can go to court and say “but I am breastfeeding, so I get baby 100% of the time”. To what end then? 6 months when baby starts solids? 1 year when most formula fed babies are put on cows milk? Or longer because Mom believes in extended breast feeding.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:53 pm

They do both work but DD is on maternity leave right now
It is odd because we’ve come a long way to ensure that women can breast feed if they choose. That’s too bad
Momto1son
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The dad deserves the child too. In this day and age mom's don't rule anymore
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 13 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 pm
PinkMartini wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:49 pm
Yoloo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Do you live under a rock? Do you honestly think it is the norm for custody to be 50/50 from just after birth?

It isnt good for a baby to be passed around like a hot potato
Under this rock judges give parents 50/50 custody, unless there is a reason not to. The baby being three weeks old would not be a reason
Breastfeeding is a reason.
It isn't necessary. There are other ways to feed the child that the father is capable of administering. That's not a reason.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 pm

I understand babies don’t need to be breastfed and in the long run it doesn’t make any difference. It’s sad if the mother had her heart set on it. I’m just wondering how the father will handle not working every other week. What kind of job allows that? You are either taking a paternity leave or you’re not. And since the mother told a maternity leave what is she supposed to do every other week?
I imagine he'll have to set up childcare, just like all working parents have to. They can't be glued to their child all day.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That would be devastating me. I would need to be medicated.

I would try not to divorce, just so I could have my kids.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 pm In most states that is what happens. They won't allow overnights or 50/50 for at least a year if exclusively breastfeeding. That is how it is in my state.

Thankfully that is starting to change. Its great to see dads being taken more seriously in Family Court.
Locked Previous topicNext topic