Would YOU move there?

BlueberryMuffin
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

The street I grew up on is all rental homes and there’s a few up for rent right now.

It’s a 3 bedroom one bath house on a decent amount of land. Nothing fancy and it’s not rundown for a house built in the 50s. Real hardwood floors (unless they’ve pulled them out since I left) but it is small.

It’s also 200 bucks cheaper a month than what we are paying for a 2 bed 2 bath apartment.

Right off the bat I didn’t have a good childhood and while I wouldn’t end up living in the home I grew up in they are all exactly the same. There is no difference between the houses whatsoever.

Second back in 01 it flooded during TS Allison. First time it had ever flooded. We ended up with water almost up to our knees. I lost a lot of my belongings.

It also flooded recently during harvey and it’s why there are homes up for rent right now. I don’t know for sure but since harvey dumped more rain than Allison I imagine the flooding was worse than during Allison.

It’s a given that it’s going to flood again if we get another storm as bad as either one of those. There is no doubt it will flood thanks to progress and all those new wonderful homes being built up higher than those home.

So would you move knowing that while you save 2400 a year eventually you’re going to lose your stuff? Allison was 01, harvey in 17.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, wouldn't move into a house that had flood damage and I wouldn't want to take the risk of it happening again.
kajira
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

No. I would move to a higher ground, I live in Texas, and totally understand the issues with flooding. When I buy land, and housing, I look at flood history and how high up the house is.
islandchick
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

No way.
BlueberryMuffin
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

bmw29 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 pm No, wouldn't move into a house that had flood damage and I wouldn't want to take the risk of it happening again.
My grandmother is really pushing for us to move to one of those houses.
BlueberryMuffin
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

kajira wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:05 pm No. I would move to a higher ground, I live in Texas, and totally understand the issues with flooding. When I buy land, and housing, I look at flood history and how high up the house is.
I’m tempted to build a house on pylons. This flooding is bull
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

JaniceLitman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm
bmw29 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 pm No, wouldn't move into a house that had flood damage and I wouldn't want to take the risk of it happening again.
My grandmother is really pushing for us to move to one of those houses.
It just sounds like a horrible idea to me. How well have they been fixed? How do you know there won't be mold issues?
CMrefugee
Donated
Donated
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I can't say that I would.
LuckyGirl
Peon

Unread post

More bedrooms, but less bathrooms? $200 cheaper but it has a flood history??? No for me....
Can you look outside the flood zone?
BlueberryMuffin
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

LuckyGirl wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:52 pm More bedrooms, but less bathrooms? $200 cheaper but it has a flood history??? No for me....
Can you look outside the flood zone?
That’s the thing. It’s not in the flood zone :-/
Locked Previous topicNext topic